VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:24:11 +0500
   >Well, I think that we need to be very careful in how we approach
   >these things having to do with text formatting.  We do need to
   >understand our limits as blind individuals.  We are, without
   >sighted help, unable to accurately produce documents with tables
   >and other extremely complex formats and graphs.

Darrell,
Did I miss something, or wasn't it made fairly clear that the
formatting error that caused the rejection was the document
wasn't double-spaced as required by the specs?  Although I
empathise with your assertion that there may be some formatting
chores that are beyond our capabilities as blind individuals,
other than for highly graphical manipulations and the like, I am
hard pressed to come up with many, or at least ones commonly
employed in grant applications!  Besides, apparantly Dr. Gardner
used an assistant for the typing of the proposal, and he was an
experienced grant applicant, so much like those of us who got our
degrees before blind computer access was a reality, he should
have been darn clear about the format of his work before handing
it in!  That is, before I turned in any of the hundreds of papers
I wrote as a student, I made sure they fulfilled any and all
format specifications required, and most definitely, something as
basic as whether the paper was double-spaced or not would have
been evident just by the number of pages!  Heck, all I was ever
shooting for was a good grade, if I were shooting for the big
bucks of a grant, you better believe I'd put in the minimal
effort to avoid the error Dr. Gardner and/or his help made!

Obviously, blind pride isn't limited to members of any particular
blind consumer group, 'eh Darrell?
                                        Willie

Net-Tamer V 1.10  - Registered