VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 09:39:56 -0500
                   COMPUTER USERS NETWORK NEWS
                       ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGY
               FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY-IMPAIRED

                       Published bimonthly
                     by the Computer Network
                    Blind Service Association
                      22 West Monroe Street
                     Chicago, Illinois 60603
                          312-458-9006
                         Copyright: 1997

     Vol. III, no. 3                 May-June, 1997

                       Editor: Cindy Brown

               Project Coordinator:  David Porter

                        MISSION STATEMENT
     Our mission is to provide a vehicle for our consumers to share information with each
other.  This is accomplished by stimulating the pro-active involvement of our readers.  CONTENTS

MEMBERSHIP/SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION .................. 3

CHECK US OUT ......................................... 3

THE BIG WINNERS! ..................................... 3

THE BRAILLE LITE--A REVIEW
     by Dan TeVelde .................................. 3

TEAMWORK ............................................. 6

THE RIGHT STUFF: HOW TO CHOOSE ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGY
     by Kelly Pierce ................................. 7

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND ............................... 10

FYI .................................................. 10

TREASURES ............................................ 10

DATES TO REMEMBER! ................................... 11

               MEMBERSHIP/SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION

 A subscription to this newsletter is a membership benefit in the Computer Network. The
newsletter is available in standard print or audio cassette, recorded at 1 7/8 IPS.
   Many events in the Network are open to members and non-members alike, but there will
be events planned for members only. Members also receive a diskette copy of the
membership directory. In past months, membership has been defined loosely, but the
membership role is being tightened up so that only paid members will be receiving member
benefits in the future.
   To join the Computer Network for a year, make a minimum donation of fifteen dollars
to BLind Service Association, giving your address and phone number, and designating which
medium of the newsletter you prefer, print or cassette. We look forward to having you join
us.
                            --------
CHECK US OUT

   You can check us out on the web page made available to us through Vipace.  You'll find
current and back issues of this newsletter.  That's at  http://www.city-
net.com/vipace/friends/chicago.

     For a recorded calendar of upcoming events, or to leave us a message, call 312-458-
9006.
                            --------
                        THE BIG WINNERS!

     If you haven't heard--the results of the big raffle, held at BSA's annual meeting on
June 14th, are in.

     Two hundred one tickets were sold, and the winners are:

     FIRST PRIZE $10,000.00--split between Seymour Litchenfeld and Irving Solotoff,
both of Miami, Florida;

     SECOND PRIZE $1,500.00--split six ways among  Lillian Cronin, Young-Jai Shin,
Gwen Allen, Zorka Nedell, Maria Teresa Krneta, and Duska Kuhlmann, all of Chicago;

     THIRD PRIZE $500.00--Gertrude Kasakoff of Chicago.

     CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!

     The net proceeds to our Computer Network are seven thousand three hundred fifty-
nine dollars!  Thanks BSA board of directors.  This makes us all winners!
                            --------
                   THE BRAILLE LITE--A REVIEW
                         by Dan TeVelde

     This article describes the Braille Lite, a product produced by Blazie Engineering.
I will explain what it is, and list some of its most useful features.
     The Braille Lite is a hand-held computer which has been designed as a notetaker.
It weighs about two pounds, and runs on either current or batteries.  It is slightly larger than
the Braille n' Speak 640.  (For the purposes of this article when I state Braille n' Speak I
am referring only to the Braille n' Speak 640.)  The main difference between the Braille
n' Speak and Braille Lite is the additional 18-cell eight-dot Braille display, and an advance
bar in front of the six-dot Braille keyboard.  The external case looks similar to the Braille
n' Speak, but is slightly larger.  The Braille Lite contains the same serial and disk drive
ports as the Braille n' Speak.  IN addition, there is a standard computer parallel port on the
left side of the case.
     The Braille Lite can display information by speech, refreshable Braille, or both.  It
is also possible to set the speech window to match the Braille display so that speech will
confirm what a person is reading in Braille.  The advance bar is used to scroll forward and
backward in a file.  Pushing down on the right end of the advance bar moves the text
forward 18 characters; and pushing down on the left end of the advance bar moves the text
backward 18 characters.
     The command structure for the Braille Lite is similar to the Braille n' Speak.
Anyone familiar with the latter may immediately use the Braille Lite.  In addition to the
familiar chord commands and menus, there are additional chord commands for the advance
bar.  There are also additional status menu options to control Braille display parameters like
displaying of control characters, word wrap, and cursor and keyboard tracking.  The status
menu even has an option to reverse the direction of the advance bar.  there are also
predefined start-up macros to turn the machine on with speech, Braille, or both.  The user
has the option to turn either speech or Braille off at any time with predefined macros.  It
is possible to continuously read through a file using speech or Braille.  When a person reads
a file using speech, the Braille display stays at the point in the file where the user started
to read.  If the user reads a file with the Braille display alone, the Braille display moves 18
characters at a time.  It is possible to control the scrolling speed of the Braille display the
same way as when reading with speech.  Reading a file with the Braille display alone comes
in handy when reading an existing file produced in Grade II Braille.
     The Braille Lite has the same features as the Braille n Speak such as calculator,
clock, spell checker, smart calendar, et cetera.  Although I don't use all of these features,
it is nice to know that they are available.  It will also run the same external programs as the
Braille n' Speak does.  Some of these programs include a Grade II Braille translator, a
checkbook management program, and others.  I have only tried the translator and find it
useful, but a bit slow.  The Braille Lite also works well with an external disk drive
(available from Blazie Engineering) to transfer files to and from disk.  One can also use the
Braille Lite as an external speech synthesizer and Braille display for a computer.  This
requires an interface kit (available for $25 from Blazie Engineering).  The Braille Lite is
compatible with the same screenreaders as the Braille n' Speak.  Blazie Engineering
produces its own DOS screenreader, PCMaster, which I have not tried.  It also produces a
Windows screenreader, WindowsMaster, which I have tried with little success.  Blazie is in
the process of developing a driver for JAWS for Windows which I hope to evaluate.
     I purchased my Braille Lite in May 1994 soon after it came on the market.  At that
time there was a small booklet explaining the features unique to the Braille Lite.  I was
able to get started just with the Braille n' Speak manual.  There have been many software
updates since 1994.  The user may update his/her own Braille Lite from the disk drive just
like the other Blazie Engineering products.  This is handy and keeps the product current.
Most of the updates are also available for the Braille n' Speak and Type n' Speak.
However, some features have been added just to the Braille Lite.  In addition, there is now
a manual specifically for the Braille Lite which is included in the purchase price.
     There have been several important recent changes included in the latest Blazie
Engineering software update.  Two features I would like to briefly mention here are the
addition of a 2-megabyte super-flash memory card, and the addition of a folder mode for
organizing files.
     The super-flash memory card may be used to store files to be read later.  This
memory card costs $199, and must be installed by Blazie Engineering.  It is not possible to
edit files in flash memory.  This feature is handy for managing large files like e-text books,
or e-mail.  This memory card is still not completely stable.  I find that sometimes a file in
super-flash memory becomes corrupted and has to be re-loaded from its source.  Although
it is easy to copy files from conventional memory to super-flash and back, characters are
sometimes added at the end when copying from super-flash to conventional memory.  I
have reported these problems to Blazie, and it is working on resolving them.
     Folder mode allows a user to create folders or sub-directories like a PC.  This
feature was intended for units with the super-flash memory card.  I am not sure if this
feature would work without this card.  When the Braille Lite is updated with this memory
card there are two default folders: one for conventional memory, and one for flash memory.
Folder mode may be activated through an option in the status menu.  In addition, there is
a command to toggle folder mode on or off from the files menu.  It is possible to have a
file in more than one folder with the same name.  Each Blazie product comes with two
folders: RAM startup, and flash startup.  I have created more folders to suit my purposes.
This feature is nice, but I don't find it really that necessary.  It can be a little confusing
especially when folder mode is turned off and the unit displays just a file list.
     Blazie Engineering has a new disk drive for all of its products.  I bought it and it is
a vast improvement over the previous model.  It works faster, and crashes less often.  It also
has a reliable low battery indicator.  Hopefully, Blazie will write a manual for it.
     In conclusion I find the Braille Lite a very useful product.  It is the piece of adaptive
technology I turn to most often.  It is handy to carry around and use for referencing
anything.  It is particularly nice to take notes just with the Braille display on, and not worry
about getting out headphones.  It's also great for reading electronic books, especially if they
are in Grade II Braille.  My only criticisms are the poor quality speech synthesizer, and the
addition of so many commands.  There have been so many software updates that  it is not
possible to keep up with them.  Furthermore, I am not sure that the present manual is
accurate for the latest update.
     Although the Braille Lite costs $3,395, it is well worth it.  My unit has held up well,
and I have not experienced  any dot failures with the Braille display.  For anyone who
needs refreshable Braille access and cannot afford a 40-cell display, the Braille Lite may
be a cheaper alternative.  As far as I know, it is the only notetaker available here in the
U.S. that provides refreshable Braille output.  Blazie Engineering provides good technical
support via e-mail or phone.
     If anyone in the Network wants a demonstration please contact me.
     (Dan TeVelde is a programmer, writing business applications software for
McDonald's Corp.  He is chairperson of the Network's Preview Crew.  You can contact him
through the Computer Network's voice-mail: 312-458-9006.  In your message, please
remember to indicate for whom you are calling, and leave your name and phone number.)
                            --------
                            TEAMWORK

     The Computer Network is made up of teams.  The word network, for most of us,
connotes a system of interactive parts.  Interaction among peers is meant to be the fuel
that keeps this network alive. The teams are the parts of the Network which address
specific tasks.  Become involved by joining one of the teams described below. To express
interest, leave your name, phone number, and the name of the person you wish to contact
on our voice-mail line: 312-458-9006.

     Outreach.  "You-all come!" is the motto of this team.  Its job is to spread the word
to youth and adults in the community-at-large about our activities--Jim Ferneborg,
chairperson.

     Membership. Welcoming, orienting, and hooking in new members is this team's
raison d'etre.  We're looking to reorganize and revitalize this very important team.--Sandra
Saunders, chairperson.
     Preview Crew. "What's new?"  That's what these computer veterans are asking, as they
are eager to beta-test new technology products.--Dan TeVelde, chairperson.

     Posse. "Let's not forget about the old stuff."  Hands-on refurbishing of hand-me-down
computers is the focus here. They meet to tinker.  Phone for date of next meeting.--Dave
McClain, chairperson.

     Lynx Squad. It seems the whole world is talking about the Internet, the World Wide
Web, and e-mail.  To join in, sign up with this team.  Reasonable word processing and
typing skills are helpful.  Meetings are held the second Thursday evening of each month.--
Kelly Pierce, chairperson.

     Peer Training.  "Each one teach one." Planning and executing monthly seminars for
novices and the advanced is the focus of this team.  Ideas for events as well as volunteers
to help are welcome. Beginning Thursday, July 24th, a seminar for beginners will be
scheduled the fourth Thursday evening of each month at 6:00.--Dave Porter, chairperson.
     All-Write! "All I know is what I read in the newsletter."  We think this is a cop-out!
We hope you will add what you know to the pages of future newsletters by contributing
technology-related articles.  Submit articles (on 3.5-in. diskette in ASCII or WordPerfect 5.1,
or on cassette tape, or in Braille) to Cindy Brown at Blind Service Association. The
deadline for the next issue is Wednesday, August 6, 1997 at noon.  This is soon, but we
know you can do it!  The newsletter cannot come out on time unless you get your articles
in.

     Then, on the evening of August 6th, we will have our first meeting of the re-
constituted All-Write team.  We hope you'll join us if you have ideas for the newsletter
and/or talents to lend us.

     By the way, we're still looking for editors for FYI. We're happy to announce that Nate
Branson has answered the call for editor of Personal Profiles.  We will look forward to his
contributions.--Cindy Brown, editor.
                            --------
       THE RIGHT STUFF: HOW TO CHOOSE ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGY
                            Part Two
                         by Kelly Pierce

     In my last article, I explained why adaptive technology (AT) users need to be
informed consumers.  I suggested that end users consider the strengths of their support
system and use a team to help in making a technology decision.  I suggested, further, that
it is best to find the simplest solution and to approach the technology issue in a general way.
Blind persons and those with other disabilities should constantly ask questions about how
the technology will work for them, no matter who pays the bill.  They need to make sure
it  fits  them.

     But, how is that done?  By simply asking yourself, the team (described in the
previous article), other users, and the equipment vendors questions and continuing to ask
until there is a satisfactory answer.  Here are some questions a consumer should ask to
make sure a device will help accomplish the desired goals.

     Are there any limitations or risks?  Users often see the benefit of AT, but don't
bother looking at the other side.  While the AT may help you do what you want to do, it
may also limit other aspects of your life.  For example, a user is considering purchasing an
adapted laptop computer to write letters and reports, access the Internet, and translate
material into formatted braille.  He should also know that laptop computers are delicate,
break down regularly, have a shorter life span, and cost much more than desktops.  While
it may improve productivity by permitting work to be done in transit or in many locations,
the repair problems could cause added expense and lack of access.  Does that mean a
laptop is not a good product? Not at all, it just means that the user will need to measure
the pluses and the minuses.  Maybe he will want to have a good desktop computer before
buying a laptop.  Perhaps he might buy a Braille 'n Speak, which is lightweight, solid, and
reliable.  However, using a Braille 'n Speak requires being quite familiar with Braille.  This
does not make it a bad product, but, like most AT, has its limitations for some users.

     Is it comfortable to use?  Have you ever worn a shirt a half-size too small?  If you
have, when it was time to wear it again, you probably thought twice about it.  If there was
another clean shirt in your closet, the small one would just sit there.  The same applies to
any AT you use.  If it is not comfortable, you will eventually discard it.  Better to speak up
during the assessment process than wait until it's over and the device is in the closet, and
you're  no closer to your goal than before you started.

     May I have a trial period to see if it works for me?  Let the buyer beware.  Don't
get caught in the trap of thinking you have to purchase the device outright before you know
you can operate it.  Insist on a trial period.  Most reputable vendors will allow you to rent
the device for a month or two and then apply the rental payments toward the purchase.
Others  have a 30-60 day return policy on the device if it does not work for you.  And
before deciding on any device and taking it home, spend some time with it--hands on.  This
means using the product yourself, not just observing someone else using it, for an extended
period such as 90 minutes.  Try doing the things you would likely do with the product, not
just some highly refined test.  For example, try writing and editing a business letter with a
Screen reader.  Then try using several other similar products in this way as a comparison.

     It's not uncommon for a person to be able to use a device in a computer lab, but not
be able to adapt it to the real world.  You may find that the speech and braille equipment
may work flawlessly in a demonstration, but it can't be used on your job or with the other
equipment that you purchased.  Compatibility problems are common.  It's not until you try
it in the real world that you can be sure the device will work for you.

     Training considerations.  Is it ready to use?  Imagine this.  A user receives his
adaptive technology.  The box is dropped off and the delivery person leaves.  The user did
not ask about setup procedures or support.  He gets as far as opening the box, but he
doesn't know how to set the device up.  By asking this question ahead of time, a user can
eliminate these problems once the device arrives.

     This scene is played out most often when consumers buy AT primarily on the basis
of price.  While saving money is important, consumers who put much of their energy into
aggressively seeking a competitive price may not realize that setup, installation, basic
training, and initial customer support are as important in getting the product to work for
them as the benefits of the product itself.  So, consider price as just one of many factors to
think about.  Also, inform yourself about the track record of the manufacturer and dealer.
The cheapest price may have its tradeoffs.  Consider these when confronting a slight
difference in price.

     What skills do I need to learn?  Let's suppose a blind student decides that a specific
computer and software package are just what he needs to help him benefit from his
educational program.  However, he doesn't  know how to touch type. He will need many
skills before the device really helps.

     How does it work?  The device you are trying out may seem simple enough to use,
but it may have taken the evaluator three days to program it so that you could use it.  Ask
about setup, what you will need to know about it, what other  functions it has, and how you
can access them.

     What about training?  Will the person who conducts the assessment also provide your
training? Do you have a good rapport with him?  Will the training come from the sales
representative?  Is there a 24-hour support line available should you need it?  How long
will that be available to you?  Are training tapes included as part of the purchase price?
If not, where could one get them?  What do other end users think about their quality?  Is
the manual available on cassette or in braille?  If not, how will you learn how to use some
of the basic functions of the product?
     Some screen reader companies produce information on how to use their products
only in print and on computer diskette.  Disk manuals can be very helpful, providing in-
depth information.  However, blind end users have difficulty getting started with the
product, when the product itself is required to read the disk or the printed material in order
to learn to use it.

     Is training included in the purchase price?  Wow! What a shock to learn you're
responsible for training, when you assumed it was included in the price!  Unfortunately,
sometimes it's not.
     Also, decide who needs training.  Certainly the user will need it, but what about
others?  Teachers, supervisors, computer department people, family members, co-workers,
and roommates are just a few examples of others who may need to know the device as well
as or better than the user.

     Access Considerations.  Where can I use this adaptive technology?  Think about what
uses you have for a specific device.  If you will use it in multiple settings, how well will it
travel?  Is there room for it in the different locations?  If it's noisy, will it disturb others
around you?  Will it need to be reprogrammed to accommodate the different settings?  If
so, who will do that?  An external speech synthesizer, offering  greater mobility than an
internal one, may present compatibility problems when it is used with certain kinds of
hardware, such as scanners.  You don't know things like this unless you ask.

     Is it bulky?or heavy?  Imagine all the settings you will be using the device in and
consider how portable it really needs to be.

Can I use it indoors and out?  Climate changes can affect how a device works.  If you will
be operating the device at an outdoor newsstand and it starts to rain you may need to be
concerned about this issue.  Ask!

     What is the battery life?  Battery life is a HUGE issue when considering AT.  If you
don't stop to ask this question PRIOR to the purchase, you may have a non-functioning
device when you need it.  If the device requires recharging after every three hours of use,
and you will use it twice that amount of time, you'll need to carry extra batteries.  Batteries
eventually wear out.  Find out how soon you will need new ones.

     Can you plug it in, and is there a power source where you want to use it?  You can
often conserve battery life by "plugging in."  So, think about the places you can hook your
AT to an electric outlet.  To conserve battery life, you may need to sit next to the wall
outlet in the classroom.

     Finally, it's important to remember that often the best technology solution is a simple
technology solution. Prior to purchasing any device, consider how additional training or
environmental adaptations can meet your needs.

     In the next installment I will discuss consultation resources, guarantees and
warranties, maintenance and repair, rental/lease plans, and economic considerations. Join
me then.
     (Kelly Pierce is the Disability Specialist at the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.
He assists witnesses and victims who have disabilities in navigating the criminal court
system.  He is also the coordinator of the Computer Network's Lynx Squad.)
                            --------
                     THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
                     submitted by Anna Byrne

     Dedicated to the technologically  challenged:

     1.  Computers are not intelligent--they only think they are ...

     2.  Windows: just another pane in the glass!

     3.  The definition of an upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.

     4.  My software never has bugs; it just develops ... random features.

     5.  I hit the control key, but I'm still not in control!
                            --------
                              FYI

     The National Braille Press has just come out with the Braille edition of The Ten-
Minute Guide to Windows 95 (3 volumes) $13.99.  NBP's Al Gayzagian in the introduction,

     "We have added some extra value to the Braille edition by describing the screens as
well as writing keyboard commands for most mouse commands.  But not all. We give you
enough information to help you figure out how to perform many of the actions yourself."

     Other technology-related NBP materials include, Windows from the Keyboard,
WordPerfect 6.0 Reference Card, The AltaVista Search Revolution, 1997 Blind Community
E-mail Directory, The Computer Braille Code Made Easy, Quick Start with Lynx, Braille
Labels for Disks, etc. For further information, and/or to get on the mailing list, contact the
National Braille Press Inc., 88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, Ma 02115.
(800) 548-7323
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www: http://www.nbp.org

   The following radio and TV shows may be of interest to our readers:

Sundays--11:00 AM, "TV.com," ABC, channel 7 in Chicago;

Sundays--3:30 PM, "Life on the Internet," Channel 20 in Chicago;

Sundays--4:00 PM, "Computer Chronicles," Channel 20 in Chicago;

Tuesdays--9:00 PM, "Real Computing," WDCB, 90.5-FM, Glen Ellyn;

Fridays--8:30 PM, "Computer Chronicles," Channel 20, Chicago;
Saturdays--2:00 PM, "CNN Computer Connection," CNN (Cable News Network).
                            --------
                            TREASURES

    Planning on upgrading to a Pentium and wishing for a home for your 486?
    Got a Braille 'N' Speak classic you aren't using any more? an old synthesizer? an out-of-
date, beginner-ready copy of a computer tutorial?
   List what you've got in the Treasures column,  the Computer Network's home for
wonderful things that their current owners have used and loved and don't need any more!
Anna Byrne is your contact person. You can reach her by leaving your name and phone
number on the BSA voice-mail line, and be sure to indicate you want to speak to Anna
Byrne.  That number is: 312-458-9006.

                                    FOR SALE:
     TYPE 'N SPEAK IN EXCELLENT CONDITION (1995 VERSION) WITH
CASSETTE MANUAL; $1,000.00 or best offer.

                               and

     Braille copy of JOB ACCESS WITH SPEECH, version 2 (1991 edition), 2 volumes;
$10.00 or best price.

     For either item, contact Marc Marino,
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
phone: (708) 730-1984.
                            --------
                       DATES TO REMEMBER!

     All meetings take place at BSA's offices at 22 West Monroe in Chicago.

     Thurs., July 24, 1997, 6:00-8:00--Computers for Dummies (presentation for
beginners); ninth floor.

     Thurs., July 31, 1997, 6:00-7:30--open house for new members; ninth floor.

     Sat., Aug. 2, 1997, 10:00-12:30--seminar: Don Davia (Department of Human Services)
on his agency's responsibilities for adaptive technology, including  how the laws have
changed, student issues regarding technology, responsibilities for job accomodations and
retention; ninth floor (all are urged to attend).

     Wed., Aug. 6, 1997, noon--deadline for newsletter articles! eleventh floor, c/o Cindy
Brown.

     Wed., Aug. 6, 1997, 5:30-7:30--All-Write (newsletter) meeting; ninth floor; (for all
who have ideas about and want to help out in any way with this newsletter).

     Wed., Aug. 13, 1997, 5:30-7:30--cognoscentae (governing board) meeting; ninth floor
(all welcome).

     Thurs., Aug. 14, 1997, 6:00-8:00--Lynx squad meeting; ninth floor.

     Thurs., Aug. 28, 1997, 6:00-8:00--Computers for Dummies (presentation for
beginners); ninth floor.

     Thurs., Sept. 4, 1997, 6:00-7:30--open house for new members; ninth floor.

     Sat., Sept. 6, 1997, 10:00-12:30--seminar: Henter Joyce presentation of Windows 95;
ninth floor (all are urged to attend).

     Wed., Sept. 10, 1997, 5:30-7:30--cognoscentae (governing board) meeting; ninth floor
(all welcome).

     Thurs., Sept. 11, 1997, 6:00-8:00--Lynx Squad meeting; ninth floor.

     Thurs., Sept. 25, 1997, 6:00-8:00--Computers for Dummies (presentation for
beginners); ninth floor.

     Sat., Oct. 4, 1997, 10:00-12:30-- seminar: Exporting Documents; ninth floor.