VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Johan Roos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:03:05 +0200
While I do not disagree with Jamal's analysis of the Internet Explorer
incident, I believe that there is something more to add thereto.

It is clear, from inter alia the New York Times report which was echoed on
this list, that the release of Internet Explorer version 4 was significant
to Microsoft's efforts at least to retain their position in the market.
Internet Explorer represents a response to developments by other software
developers and its genesis cannot be commented upon in isolation.  The
decision to release Internet Explorer may, therefore, have been a
calculated one.  In short, the senior management at Microsoft may well have
been perfectly aware of the likely reaction from the visually impaired
community to their decision to release Internet Explorer without active
accessibility.  They may, however, have decided to take that particular
risk and to discount it against the adverse implications of holding up the
release for the sake of the visually impaired community only.

One may be angry about this decision, but one must accept, at the same
time, that commercial decisions are not always prompted by callousness
only.  Neither are unpopular commercial decisions of this type necessarily
evidence of insensitivity towards the community which is disadvantaged
thereby.  In fact, Henter-Joyce recently did a substantially similar thing.
 I am reluctant to take up unnecessary bandwidth to explain the details of
HJ's decision, but when I complained about it a number of beta testers were
quick to profess their sense of injury that I and like-minded people could
complain about what was essentially a commercial decision.

I believe that the New Zealanders totally over-reacted, but if it means
that Microsoft's professed commitment to the accessibility of their
software will be strengthened by what I now perceive to be an
over-reaction, who am I to judge?

________________________________
Johan Roos
Advocate of the High Court of South Africa
Member of the Cape Bar
624 Keerom Street Chambers
56 Keerom Street
Cape Town 8001