VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 07:45:48 -0500
vicugs are not an American franchise.  Below Adam writes about his
organizing work in Australia's capital city.

kelly

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:17:34 +1000
From: [log in to unmask]

Hi Kelley, I am in the capital city of Australia  Canberra.  I did have a
small special interest group running hear but it failed due to lack of
interest.  I am a member of the computer users group of Victoria (another
state in Australia) this group is run by the national federation of blind
citizens.  you have to be a member of the federation to join the computer
group.  they have tapes which are sent to corresponding members in other
parts of Australia and they get Bitstream  and distribute it to those
members who are interested.  I copy and distribute tapes from the meetings
after they have been edited and I also distribute bitstream.

the group has about 14 corresponding members and I am not sure how many
others.  they meet once a month and most meetings they have a guest speaker
either on technology for the blind or on something to do with pc's.  at
their meetings they also have a time for information exchange where people
can tell others about things that they have found.