VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:37:12 -0500
the Washington Post

First Blind Player Wins Big on ‘Jeopardy!’

Eddie Timanus, left, won nearly $70,000 on "Jeopardy!," which is hosted by
Alex Trebek, right. (Columbia Tristar Television)

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 24, 1999; Page C1

Eddie Timanus launches into John Belushi's famous monologue from "Animal
House," one of several classic movie bits he has memorized start to finish,
like many in his Boomer generation.

"Over? It's not over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Gathered around him in a sports bar in Sterling, Timanus's family and
friends nod. They've heard it a million times. Anyway, they're not here for
comedy. They're here to watch Timanus, for the second night in a row,
demolish two opponents on television's "Jeopardy!"

In the afterglow of his second $12,000-plus game-show victory, which they
watch on a television set in the noisy bar, his pals plot to slip him the
dinner check. Timanus, a sportswriter for USA Today, pays them no mind;
he's simultaneously commenting on the musical selections in the jukeboxes
and monitoring a dozen ballgames being broadcast throughout the room.

Oh, and he's totally blind.

The 31-year-old Reston man is the first blind contestant in the 16-year
history of the syndicated TV show. But Timanus is not just a contestant: In
two days of taping in August, he rattled off five straight victories,
rolling up nearly $70,000 in winnings and advancing to the coveted
"Tournament of Champions" in the spring – a feat accomplished by only about
half a dozen of the 400 contestants who appear on the show each year.

Timanus's fourth appearance airs Monday night (Channel 7, 7:30 p.m.).

He's as unassuming and engaging as any other sports and trivia nut, trading
barbs with friends and giving as good as he gets. His disability – he lost
his sight to retinal tumors at age 3 – hasn't slowed him at all, and when
"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek informs the audience that Timanus is blind,
his coterie at the bar howls "We know! We know!" in mock irritation.

Near the end of his second appearance, Timanus picks the final square on
the board, a Daily Double. Instantly, he calculates exactly how much he'll
need to win the game outright, before Final Jeopardy. And he does.

It isn't his first brush with show business. As a student at South Lakes
High School, he appeared on the program "It's Academic," so "I kinda knew
how to handle the TV thing," he says. "I just decided to have fun with it
and play to win."

He was born in St. Joseph, Mo., the son of an itinerant radio disc jockey.
 From his earliest days, he liked to "watch" game shows with his mother,
erri. As a 6-year-old listening to the old Art Fleming-hosted "Jeopardy!"
Timanus recalls telling her, "The Daily Double squares are orange with
yellow stripes, right, Mom?"

He was right.

The family moved to Reston in 1981. At South Lakes, Timanus cruised through
his advanced placement courses. On one episode of "It's Academic," he
successfully answered a question that involved a photograph.

"He was an excellent student, and his blindness was never a problem," said
Carolyn Slednik, a teacher of the visually impaired in Fairfax County. "He
was particularly excellent in math. He would dictate to me where to put the
numbers in which columns."

As a youth, Timanus helped his father, Chuck, with statistics at sporting
events that his dad was broadcasting. He refined his love of sports at Wake
Forest University, where he graduated in 1990 with a degree in economics.

Not long after that, his mother appeared on "Jeopardy!" She did not win.

In 1992, Timanus hooked up with USA Today, where he compiles the paper's
Coaches' Top 25 college football and basketball polls. He also writes the
Friday college football roundup, plus feature articles on a variety of sports.

He does most of his reporting by phone but occasionally covers a game in
person, mainly lacrosse. His father accompanies him, providing play-by-play
and keeping statistics. Timanus uses a computer program that speaks,
allowing him to hear when he's typed or downloaded from the Internet.

"I learned how to type very, very early," he said. "And I 'watch' a lot of
games. It's kind of knowing what to listen for."

As "Jeopardy!" fans know, the game can be difficult for even top-notch
trivia buffs. Timanus had been trying to make the cut for years, taking the
written test four times before being invited to a second round of tryouts
last year. They don't keep score at the tryouts, he said. "They're just
making sure you don't go 'blugblugblug' when it's time to answer."

Timanus survived that round and a series of interviews. The producers
wanted him, but in December some of the show's coordinators returned to
this area to visit him one more time. They wanted to see if he could handle
the buzzer contestants must use, and find out whether he'd need special
accommodations.

"I said if I just had a Braille list of the categories, I'd be fine,"
Timanus said. For Final Jeopardy, he types his answers on a keyboard.

When producers told him to book a flight to Los Angeles in August, Timanus
called David Sher, a close friend and local theater producer he jokingly
refers to as "Shakespeare Boy." (Sher returns the favor with an edgy barb
of his own: As Timanus picked up the dinner check last week, Sher said,
"Thanks for dinner, Freak.")

The two flew to California and endured two days of tapings at Sony Pictures
studios, waiting for Timanus's turn at bat. Contestants wait off-stage
together during the tapings; after each show ends, two new names are picked
out of a hat to face the reigning champion in the next round.

In his first show, Timanus's correct identification – and pronunciation –
of the Peloponnesian War, vaulted him to victory.

The only accommodation producers made for Timanus – besides the Braille
listings – was to eliminate video-related questions. And because
contestants can't buzz in until Trebek finishes reading the questions,
being able to see the board was only a slight advantage to Timanus's
competition.

"He's remarkable, and he's such a nice guy," said Laine Sutten, spokeswoman
for the show, adding that Timanus won more money than anyone else has this
season.

Now the national media are on Timanus's heels. Talk show gigs are not far off.

"I'm trying not to get the 'celebrity head' going," he said.