VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:07:10 -0400
One way that I deal with this issue is to settle for compensation instead
of access.

For instance, I don't complain about the New York City subway. As long as
they give me a half-price fare, I think of that as compensation for
thinconveniences, or bribing me to keep quiet.

If they ever take it away, I will insist that they paint all of the
obstructions in high-contrast black and white stripes. Clearly, it is far
cheaper for them to give me a reduced fare, and I accept this
compensation.

Last Thursday, I went to a movie theater alone - for the first time since
loosing my sight. This may sound strange, but I'm in the habit of thinking
that I have to line up accomodations before I do things. This time, I
wanted to see the Truman Show, and I was tired of trying to get all my
ducks in a row before I could go. So, I just went alone.

On the way, I decided to ask for the half-price admission price for
children and seniors. I was prepared to make my case, but it wasn't
necessary.

When I got to the window, I asked for a discount and they had one and gave
it to me. I paid three dollars instead of ten.

I was prepared to argue that I needed the extra three bucks to hire the
person in the seat next to me to narrate. It turned out that I didn't hire
anybody, and just pocketed the savings. I chatted with a woman who was
leaving the theater, and she filled me in on the visual passages that I
had missed - and she didn't charge me. I used the three bucks to treat her
to a capuccino.

So, I'm not complaining. Instead of a descriptive narration, I got a date.

Last night, I went to the super market and a woman, not an employee,
offered to take me around. She told me that her daughter is legally blind.
It turns out that her daughter also has an optic nerve disease, only, in
her case, the condition could have been prevented. The result is that her
daughter won a million dollars in a mal practice suit. Not bad.

My assistant said that her daughter thought that her blindness was "meant
to be."

"Easy for her to say," I thought, "if she came to that conclusion after
she became a millionaire." What about those of us who lose our vision, and
end up paying for the privilege in lost earning potential, and needing to
buy adaptive equipment, in addition to everything else?

Anyway, my serendipitous stories result from cases where the theater,
super market, and so on do not provide accommodations. They may not be
worth a million dollars, but they are a form of compensation, anyway.

 Peter Seymour