VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:38:37 -0700
At 10:46 PM 7/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I think this article brings up some very interesting questions.  In some
>cases, we can bring along companions.  However, I think in many cases,
>audio description is an accessibility issue.
>
>I am not thinking of performances, but of things on TV.  How about the
>times that we are watching TV news, and the announcer says, "Here the
>school closings, the highs and lows for some cities, the lotery numbers,
>etc.  We then hear music.  What about times that we hear, "Call the number
>on your screen.  However, it is never mentioned.

Agreed! Another important example of this problem is evident in political
campaign ads, particularly
hostile or sarcastic ones. I believe that there is a requirement that the
sponsor of campain ads must be identified in some written form at the end
of the ad in a statement such as, " The preceeding ad was paid for by The
Friends of Joe Candidate". There is no requirement for this identification
to be made audiably. Some campaign can be very misleading and can only be
intellegently analyzed when put in perspective by judging it according  to
the special interest group which spomsored the ad.