VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:10:25 -0500
Here's an example of why the sources of things should be checked out.
There is a lot of information on the Internet, not all of it is as it
appears.

kelly

from the Wall Street Journal

   June 7, 1998 [Tech Center]

Video-Security Aide Is Culprit
In Computer-Bashing Mystery

   By NICK WINGFIELD
   THE WALL STREET JOURNAL INTERACTIVE EDITION

   The mysterious computer-bashing man made famous by a popular video
   zinging around the Internet is a mystery no longer.

   The man is Vinny Licciardi, 35 years old, operations manager at a
   security-video software company in Durango, Colo. Until now, Mr.
   Licciardi's identity has been as obscure as the origins of the video,
   a 25-second shot from a surveillance camera that depicts a heavy-set,
   mustachioed man in an office cubicle mercilessly savaging a computer.

                                                          Have a Bad Day!

   The video, called "badday," has captivated thousands of Internet users
   as a vivid document of mankind's frustration with machines, a powerful
   reminder of the violent impulses nearly everyone has felt at one time
   or another when a monitor goes dark, a keyboard clunks out or a word
   processing document simply disappears.

   But, as some suspected, Mr. Licciardi's tour de force was pure acting.

   About two years ago, Mr. Licciardi's employer, Loronix Information
   Systems Inc., asked him to play the role of a disgruntled employee who
   batters his office equipment. (Another video not yet available on the
   Internet features Mr. Licciardi filching computer equipment from a
   warehouse.)
   [Badday Still]

   Loronix sent a CD-ROM, which contained the office video and other
   promotional materials, to its customers and sales force several months
   ago. Loronix executives speculate that the video was posted to the
   Internet by someone who received the CD-ROM, and that other people
   eventually began copying the clip over to their own Web sites. By last
   week, the video had mesmerized untold numbers of Internet users, who
   passed it around in e-mail chains.

   Although his outburst -- which includes a furious keyboard whack that
   topples a monitor to the floor -- wasn't genuine, Mr. Licciardi's
   technique was pure method acting. "I went back and experienced the
   feelings I've had before," he said. "I just let it go. I was quite
   pleased with myself."

   The identity of the anonymous cyberspace vandal didn't surface until
   late Friday after a Wall Street Journal article on the video led to
   its airing on national television. Peter Jankowski, a founder of
   Loronix, who wasn't aware of the Journal article, said he was startled
   to see the two-year-old footage of Mr. Licciardi on CNBC. "I couldn't
   believe it," Mr. Jankowski said.

   Eventually, Loronix was identified as the source of the video through
   a message a company employee posted to a Web site devoted to the
   video.

   Mr. Licciardi was equally surprised to learn of his new celebrity.
   "I'm sitting at home and no one knows who I am and suddenly everybody
   is looking for me," he said in an interview Saturday. "It blew me
   away."

   "Vinny loves his computers but he does get frustrated," said Jon
   Lupia, chief financial officer of Loronix. "He can get upset when
   things don't go his way."

   But Mr. Licciardi isn't likely to blow his cool inside the Loronix
   offices anytime soon. According to Mr. Lupia, the company has
   stationed about 20 security cameras around its headquarters so it can
   show off its product to potential clients.

   Copyright © 1998 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.