VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Penny Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:34:59 +0600
This notice was in our disabled teachers list.  I thought maybe some
of you might be interested in it.  If this program does not somehow
meet the guidelines of the list, be merciful. I'm a new list user.
Kindest regards,
Penny Golden

    Re: Project Inclusion

   Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:22:45 +0000
   Hi!
   My name is Margaret “Muffi” Lavigne.  I am the Project Director for
   Project Inclusion, a disability demonstration project funded by the
   Corporation for National Service and managed by United Cerebral
   Palsy Association (UCP). I am writing to the Educators with
   Disabilities Network Listserve today to introduce myself and
   Project Inclusion.  Project Inclusion’s goal is to recruit and
   retain 20 qualified individuals with disabilities to serve as
   AmeriCorps Members for the 1998-99 service year, in the following
   cities: San Francisco, CA; Long Beach, CA; Seattle, WA; Pittsburgh,
   PA; Providence, RI; Albany, NY; Miami, FL; Houston, TX; San Antonio,
   TX; Omaha NE; and Columbia, SC. AmeriCorps is a national service
   program, often referred to as the domestic Peace Corps, that
   engages Americans of all ages and backgrounds in service to address
   the education, public safety, human and environmental needs facing
   American communities.  In exchange for a year of service,
   AmeriCorps Members are eligible to receive an educational award of
   up to $4,725, to be used for future tuition or to pay off back
   student loans, and/or a modest living stipend, just under $8,000.
   AmeriCorps Members can serve up to two years in full-time or
   part-time service positions.  Applicants must be at least 17 years
   of age and a US citizen or a Natural or Lawful Permanent Resident
   Alien.  By “getting things done”,  AmeriCorps Members are given a
   unique opportunity to meet and address the challenges of local
   communities. Currently 25,000 AmeriCorps Members, with and without
   disabilities, serve in over 430 programs across the country.
   Project Inclusion wants to spread the word about AmeriCorps and the
   service opportunities it holds for qualified individuals with
   disabilities, so it is targeting organizations and agencies that
   serve and/or represent people with disabilities. Because Project
   Inclusion is a one-year demonstration project, it needs to build
   capacity quickly within local, regional and national disability
   communities. I believe that the Educators with Disabilities Network
   and its partners are a wonderful resource for identifying
   prospective AmeriCorps Members who have disabilities.  Please help
   us by letting your colleagues and other interested parties know
   about Project Inclusion. The Corporation for National Service is
   dedicated to the effective recruitment, retention and full
   inclusion of people with disabilities as AmeriCorps Members. To
   that end, AmeriCorps programs have been undergoing extensive
   training on providing reasonable accommodation and other supports.
   Project Inclusion encourages self-disclosure of existing
   disabilities in order to work with AmeriCorps programs to evaluate
   and coordinate the procurement of reasonable accommodation for
   qualified individuals with disabilities. To receive a Project
   Inclusion information packet regarding AmeriCorps and the service
   opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities, or if
   you have further questions, please e-mail me at [log in to unmask]
   or call 800-872-5827, ext. 7144. Thanks! Margaret “Muffi” Lavigne
   Project Director Project Inclusion
   1660 L Street, NW
   Suite 700
   Washington, DC 20036
   800-872-5827, Ext. 7144
I send this to you from our dateach list.  If you're interested in the
dateach list--which is open to teachers, administrators, people
interested in a teaching career--I would be glad to give their address
to this list.
Penny Golden