PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:30:21 -0400
re << I don't know of too many people who still use the couch and face the
patient away - not that that approach isn't still used.>>

Just a by the way comment - using the couch is not really an approach, it's
an analytic tool. Why people would use a couch who are not doing analysis
is a bit puzzling to me. Although in the early days, some physicians would
have a pt lie on it, and then proclaim that it made not difference or did
not help therapeutically. Here indicating complete oblivion to the
knowledge components of the practice. Of course the couch can aid in '
being therapeutically there for the patient' but only if the practitioner
has the background.

William J. Massicotte PhD