From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:33:35 -0400
Bill Dooley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I have a friend who likes to eat raw potato, sliced and sprinkled with
>seasoned salt. So, perhaps raw potato qualifies as a paleofood. I haven't
>tried it yet myself. Perhaps other root foods we usually cook can be eaten
>raw.

HA!  Hi again, Bill! :-)

Raw wild potatoes are deadly when eaten raw.  Raw domesticated potatoes
have poisons in the eyes but are otherwise not deadly.  However as you know
raw domesticated potatoes are loaded with starch, which is going to be a
problem for some people.

There are clear accounts of some hunter/gatherers eating some raw root
vegetables, yet most root vegetables would be deadly, and it's hard not to
wonder if there's not something wrong with the overbred modern potatoes.
If nothing else they're absolutely loaded with starch, and a high starch
diet probably isn't healthy for most people.