From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:22:16 -0700
My coowners Don Wiss, who handles all the technical aspects of this list
and Dr. Bob Zenhausern who is in charge of the system at St. John's University
New York are sharing a major concern with which we must all deal appropriately:

        "two most wasteful uses of listserv space"

        - "overzealous signatures"
        - "excessive quoting"

Following are STONE and SPEAR list guidelines:

* EDITING OF MESSAGES REPLIED TO
Please trim as much as possible from the post to which
you are replying.  Edit, leaving only what is absolutely
essential to convey meaning.
Hints and Considerations:
- ask: is even quoting any of the message being replied
  to really necessary?
- if so: try for an amount of quoted text to be less than new text
- never quote headers nor entire messages

* SIGNATURE FILES
The use of all sig. files is discouraged.  Permission for
usage may be given by the LISTOWNER to an individual
based on the relevance to the mandate of the list
and the usefulness to all other list members.

Thank you for your cooperation.

--
LISTOWNER  * http://www.mountain-inter.net/~magnuson/