From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:18:08 -0400
>This question is just for the female population of paleo-eaters: Has
>this diet helped/hindered the perimenopausal part of you in any way? Is
>anyone else on the diet perlmenopausal? Do you find yourself and your
>body needing more kinds of different food to make it through the
>day(such as soy/tofu products for calcium build up?)

sherry, i am not sure if i am perimenopausal or not (my mom had a surgically
induced menopause in her late twenties, so i am not sure at what age i will
menopause), i'm almost 38.  but i have noticed a dramatic difference in my
periods since beginning paleodieting.  previously, they were wildly
irregular, every 30-37 days in a cycle.  but now it comes like clockwork,
every 27 1/2 days.  and no more bloating, no more cramps, i used to have
problems with flooding (ladies, you know what i mean), and that has eased as
well.  this diet really makes a difference!
what do i need to get thru the day?  i notice that at times, especially
around my period, i tend to get what i think is hypoglycemic (pounding
heart, weak, shaky) and i have to be careful to have enough fruit on those
days.  i do take a supplement of 400 mg calcium a day, and avoid soy/tofu
like the plague.

hth, JoAnn.