From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 17:25:31 -0400
> Many I see here are horrified at the thought of
>eating some corn or wheat.  Come on now, our bodies were meant to eat a
>variety of foods.  Reliance on mostly a few types of food is what shortens
>our lives.  Keep an open mind  and don't let your zeal for this diet make
>you misinterpret data and facts and ideas that don't support your excitement.

Paul:

1) There is absolutely no reason you cannot eat an amazingly rich variety
of hundreds of different kinds of foods and never eat any corn or wheat
products of any kind.

2) There isn't actually much evidence that we need a variety of foods is
necessary for health that I can see, but point #1 still stands anyway; most
paleolithic dieters eat a rich abundance of different foods.

3) You cannot have a "paleolithic diet" and include corn and wheat in it;
these grain foods are totally and completely different than -any- food man
would have encountered on a daily basis prior to agriculture.

4) There is, in fact, a tremendous body of data linking regularl
consumption of cereal grains like these with cancer, heart disease,
rickets, osteoporosis, tooth decay, multiple sclerosis, both Type I and
Type II diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and a number of other serious
diseases.  We have discussed a very great deal of evidence over the last
few months on these points, both here and on the Paleodiet Symposium.  The
evidence on these issues is not minor, crazy, or hysterical.  I suggest you
do some reading and talk to people before lecturing them on these issues.