NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
DAVID POHLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:25:37 -0400
>>> "M. Steiner" wrote:

I know it is some kind of certification about the kashrut
( kosher) of the
place.    I don't remember the exact meaning, just that
if it says "Glatt,"
even the  orthodox religious people would not have a
problem eating the
food.  In other words, you can be assured there is no
milk at all used in
those establishments.  Or they would lose their licences
for false
adverstising, and of course,  the kosher certification.

****

I've received three replies to my question "What does
"glatt kosher" mean.  Two of them said it means that
the establishment maintains very strict observance of
the kosher laws, and only uses meats that have been
specially inspected (there are conditions on how the
animal died).   Important point here:  To me, this would
not necessarily mean that no milk at all is used in these
establishments.  Just that milk would only be used in
strict accordance with kosher laws.

Dave