BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:22:47 -0700
>We abandoned those patterns for spread-out cul-de-sac ranchero villages,
>now supplanted architecturally by bad pastiches of architectural elements
>jumbled higgledy-piggledy in Mr. Potato Head fashion upon a prominent
>garage door, all designed to enclose the maximum amount of square footage
>using materials of the lowest common denominator in quality.  Is it the
>buildings of Celebration that are 3/4 scale, or is it just that instead of
>being spread out at .5 acre lot density, the scale of the place is more
>compact, intimate, and decidedly urban as opposed to suburban?

This reminds me of the comment of one of Victoria's most prominent
preservationists who was giving a lecture on architecture. She said the
message delivered by modern houses is that "two cars live here", etc. On
driving through the latest in a series of modern subdivisions, I find that
sometimes  as high as "five cars live here". What does this say for our
society - that the entrance to our homes is a garage door??

Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
Owner, Bed Buddies Toys
Past President, Hallmark Society...Director, Heritage Society of B.C.
[log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.islandnet.com/~helen