Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:24:42 -0400

>We must keep in mind that there are folks joining this group everyday
>plus an international audience -- these folks have concerns and
>challenges, so every day is a new day with a new beginning of the "same
>old thing" for some and a "bright shinning light" for others.

I have been on a mailing list for 4 years, called The International Dental
Forum, and it is now huge with several thousands on the list and a hundred
postings or more a day.  I started on it when there were just 3 or 4
postings a day.  I'm kind of a senior guy on it now.  I have found that,
with the same subjects coming up over and over, that I also become wearing
of answering over and over again, just as some here do, I'm sure, when I
bring up something already discussed.  But I learned that it is better to
not answer if it has become tiresome, and let some newer members on the
group answer.  People new to the list do not want to lurk for an awfully
long time, because if they are like me the learning takes place when there
is interaction and even arguments.  And sending a newcomer to an Archive
list maybe ok if just to give backround on a particular subject, but
otherwise isn't the best way to handle them.  Most people, myself included,
would tire of the huge mass of information on some lists.  In short, the
people with the most knowledge here need to take a break from feeling
responsible for answering every new-old question.  Be easy on yourself.
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC