From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:05:27 -0700

Today I spoke with Sue Harris, 800-468-1714, at Hersheys regarding Hershey's
Chocolate Syrup.  Only the squeeze bottle version of this product can be
guaranteed gluten free and milk free.  It is manufactured on dedicated
equipment which is used only for this product.  The canned version of the
product is manufactured on the same equipment as their fudge toppings, some
of which contain gluten and/or milk; however, they do clean the equipment
between runs.  I would rather be safe than sorry, so I will use only the
squeeze bottle.  I have been dying for some chocolate which is gluten free
and milk free.  I really don't mind eating it by the spoonful if I have to!
I am going to try it lightly poured over raisins.  I love chocolate covered
raisins.  Does anyone have any gluten free and milk free recipes using this
syrup?  I would greatly appreciate creative ideas for use of this product.

An interesting thing I discovered today while speaking with another employee
at Hersheys, is the ingredients in Polysorbate 60.  It contains Palmitic
Acid, Stearic Acid, and Sorbitol (which can have a laxative effect on some
people).  Hersheys Syrup does contain Polysorbate 60, so those who are
sensitive for some reason to Sorbitol may want to make note of this.  (Please
note that none of these ingredients are derived from wheat, rye, oats, barley
or milk.)

Thanks.  Abigail
---
You will find Celiac chat instructions on my homepage. I downloaded a picture
of me the other day; so on each page, click on reload for latest version of
that page.

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/