From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 10:58:00 +0100

Dear All,

Recently some Polish friends were in Scotland.  They are
wildly broke but especially wanted to buy Karin a present.
Knowing about her problem, they were very pleased when they
found a box of Nairn's Oatcakes, clearly marked "Gluten
free".  The contents list reads, "Oatmeal, Vegetable Oil,
Salt, Sugar, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate)"
Now my understanding of the situation with regards to oats
is that to call this product "gluten free" is at best
hopeful, at worst an out and out lie.  I don't want to fire
off a major broadside (which I can easily do) without being
certain of my ground. Can some of the experts give me
advice on exactly what the current thinking on oatmeal is.
Should I contact the manufacturer and try to talk it
through or simply take it up with the authorities I would
go to, if I found food contaminated or inedible etc?

You will realise that I am very worried by the apparently
casual attitude of the food industry, but do not want to
help create a situation where the industry says in effect,
"we are not prepared to tell you the GF status of our
product".

Regards,

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209