From:
Perry Prince <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:05:32 -0800

Being an eater and aficionado of Asian food I think that I have become
knowledgeable of what is GF etc. Most of the fish sauce that is made in
Thailand (and probally the Philippines) is made with wheat, one brand
that is GF is "SQUID BRAND". If you can get fish sauce that comes from
Viet-Nam it will most likely be GF but it is very hard to find. Wheat
is used to quicken the fermenting process and to turn into alcohol, to
act as a preservative. also the ready mixed "black bean sauce" has
wheat in it.The semi-dried black beans that come in a package and are
used to make the black bean sauce are GF. LEE KUM KEE "HOISIN SAUCE" is
GF, it's made with sweet potatoes. The only soy sauce I would trust
would be from an "Organic market". These soy sauces are called "TAMARI"
<underline>MAKE SURE IT SAYS WHEAT FREE</underline> A good rule of
thumb is that if it is a thick paste it might very well have wheat in
it.