From:
"David D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:26:02 EDT

Well, about a week ago I asked about Heinz vinegar.  I got no definitive answers
regarding whether it was from corn/grain except one who said he had received
notice of some kind that as of June of this year, it would all be from corn from
now on.  I do not know where the source of this information came from though.

In addition, I had other people suggest just using apple cider vinegar instead.
Of course, the flavors are different in the end product, but apple cider is
better for sweet pickles anyway.  So, I noticed in the CSA/USA guide and
Tri-County that Heinz apple cider vinegar was listed.  So, I used that instead.
Then, I went to buy more and found another brand, Gedney, and noticed it said
Apple Cider *flavored* vinegar.  Hmmm.  Well, decided to find the Heinz at
another store.
**BUT**, I then noticed that Heinz's was ALSO Apple Cider *FLAVORED* vinegar.
In reading the fine print, it is their white vinegar colored with caramel
coloring and flavors.

Unless someone is aware of Heinz making *REAL* Apple Cider vinegar, then it is
NOT any different from thier white vinegar!  It may, in fact, be riskier.  Now,
I just hope and pray thier WHITE vinegar is REALLY from corn, else I just made
mmany jars from their regular GRAIN vinegar.

I think I need to try to get ahold of them again to verify, UNLESS someone has
some more definitive information on this!    Has anyone SEEN real apple cider
vinegar from Heinz, or any Other company that is labeled 5% acidity?  I have
seen some in bulk at a health food store, but don't know the acidity.

ONCE AGAIN, I am reminded of how looking at the labels is ever important, even
if the item is ON a GF shopping guide!

Joanne