Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:48:33 -0700
Forgive my exuberance but I am just thrilled to be on this list. I have
been combing thru the archives got a good idea of the diet and got
excited about some of the things that I read there. I am hoping that you
all can help me come to a better understanding of what it takes for me
to be healthy. I was introduced to the group thru investigating posts by
JoAnn, hi JoAnn. I will try to share stuff about me as I have seen a
recent poster( Are listserv msgs called posts? If not, then what? ) do
so well. Right now I am on the Protein Power diet( PP ). I have Atkins'
new book, DANDR, and I am currently finding my CCL( critical
carbohydrate level ). Although I am very interested in the rationales
and mechanics of the paleolithic diet, I won't be changing to one
immediately( any more than I already have ) but rather progressively. I
hope no one will hold this against me and will welcome me anyway. I
haven't read NeanderThin. I have ordered it, but probably messed
something up with the order and won't be getting it for a while. I did
get _The Paleolithic Prescription_ and was surprised to find that the
diet it recommends is nearly RDA fair.

I have been interested for the last seven years in changing my lifestyle
to one the promotes rather than diminishes health. I found myself well
overfat and unhealthy around seven years ago. I quit smoking and have
not smoked for six years now. Around four years ago I started exercising
again. I knew I had asthma, but I found out that I am allergic to almost
all of my food. In just the last few months on PP I have found that I am
carb sensitive. And recently a doctor told me that I didn't have
diabetes *yet*. That scared me a little. I do know my cholesterol was
136 which I attribute to having avoided dairy.

I thought it would be interesting to list the foods to which I am
allergic. I am allergic to: wheat, corn, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, all
melons, most if not all squash, pork, broccoli, peanuts, and much more.
I avoid the major allergens, but find it impossible to avoid everything.
After all, I have to eat. :-(  I came to believe that I am allergic to
all ground dwelling foods. I do have an allergy to mold and grasses and
this may be partly the reasoning. I have trouble with dairy, but I
wouldn't call it an allergy.

Well, that's my intro. Because of length I will save my many questions
for future posts(?). Thanks for listening,

Micke