VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

DMFISHER <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:28:37 -0400
I have noticed a few postings re those of us who are not particularly
techy and those who seem to have the knack.  I had a marvelous friend who,
for the most part, was not employed on a regular 8 hour job, to say
nothing of the commutes involved.  He was probably one of the most
knowledgeable blind persons about so many things, especially computers,
software, adaptive technology, that lived.  But I know that he spent
hours, probably 16 to 18 hours a day glued to his computer; always
searching for new ways and better ways of doing things.  I profited from
his knowledge.  I spend no where near that amount of time at the keyboard;
if that's what it takes, then I'll never get there; I have another life
besides trying to learn what I can in a reasonable amount of time at the
keyboard.

I appreciate those of you who have the perseverance to learn and to tutor.
It really burns me up that in Los Angeles County, a county more populous
than many states, we have so little resources; a friend recently signed up
for a windows class at an adult school; they handed him the jaws tape and
told him to listen to it; that was the extent of their class for him.  My
stepdaughter went through several computer classes at an adult school and
is now an aide there teaching classes.  They have work books they go
through with lots of examples and exercises.  Most of the quick and easy
reference or how to books are not available to us; there are all kinds of
these on the market, but not for us.  And as someone said, we no sooner
get something learned sufficiently where we can apply it without a lot of
thought; and bang; here comes something else that revolutionizes the whole
field.I heard about someone who was going to take a two week course on
windows and found out she was going to Florida; that the center taught
primarily jaws; there's nothing like that here on the west coast and if
there were, it would be for rehab clients.

I think the adult schools charge something like ten dollars and people can
take as many classes as they have time for.  Computer stores offer at
least introductory classes.

I cannot force myself to sit down and try to learn windows when I have no
application for it.  I would like to be able to do more on the internet,
websites, etc., and maybe I'll get there eventually with your appreciated
help; but I'm the type of person who has to have a drive for trying to
learn new things and if I have no application, then what's the point?

Doris Fisher
Bellflower, California