VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Senk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:19:07 -0400
Thanks for sharing your note from HJ.  You may also be interested to know
that there is a mailing list devoted to JFW.  It is not administered by
Henter Joyce, but many of the company's employees may be found there to
answer technical issues.

I received the JFW 3.0 disks on Thursday afternoon and tried the install
on Friday.

Be sure to remove the check mark from the Run JAWS First box if you have
version 2 running as you do the install.

You install 4 disks for JFW and then another which has the Active
ACCessibility files (MSAA)

Well, I did all that and restarted the computer, entered my network
password as usual, and there was no speech.

It looked like the machine locked up after a few keystrokes.  Well, I
asked a fellow employee to read the screen and tried the install again.
No errors reported, but still no speech.

Dennis G. from HJ returned my call requesting technical support in about
two hours.

I had been able to run vocal Eyes in a DOS box and it looked like all the
files were in the JFW30 directory.

Dennis had me check for certain files and pull up ssil.ini in the
notepad.  For some reason, it seemed the 32 bit version of JFW found my
Audapter blocked out.

Finally, he was stumped and suggested I re-install version 2.0 and phone
next week.

Be sure your graphics card is in 256 color mode (or greater) or you will
find that certain programs have text which is "invisible" to JFW.  This
is done under settings / control panel / display

VIPACE president, Doug Hunsinger told at our pizza-fest that I should
look for Audapter settings in a file called ssil30.ini.  Maybe the JFW
tech guy made a mistake on a busy Friday afternoon.

I will say that JFW has been helpful in answering questions via e-mail
and even phoned me at home on a Saturday with an answer.

Their tapes are good, but I wish there were more detail about some
areas.

Version 3 has many more configuration options and will read the DOS box
without a DOS screen reader.  I thought the Text Assist speech on the
sound card to be a bit slow and returned to the Audapter.  The new DEC
software speech synthesizer is supposed to be very responsive.
If you really want the Windows Wav sounds, there have been a few people
successful in installing and using two sound cards.

Well, a good place for some technical tips, user developed configuration
files and more information about the mailing list is
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~nallan/jfw/index.shtml

Of course, Henter Joyce may be found at www.hj.com

- mark Senk
412 892-6513