VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anna Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:47:35 -0400
Marilyn,

Hear, hear!!  The Internet  just ain't that easy, especially without
someone to look over your shoulder or point yourmouse.  I just finished
four hours with an Excel spread sheet--doing what it would take my sighted
peers 30 minutes to do--and I find that in the trial-and-error area, I'm
still doing alot of the 'error' part.  I keep promising myself ***THE
INTERNET, but there isn't time.  I remember, though, when I was young and
planned to change the world and couldn't understand why nobody saw it as an
easy task.

if we can all hang in there long enough, and butt our heads against the
wall hard enough and often enough without too much damage to our brains and
our egos, we'll get there.  Of course, being old, I know that by the time I
get where I think I want to be, technology will have made another monster
leap and I will still be running to catch up.  Someone on this list called
me stubborn a couple of months ago, and explained patiently that
stubbornness won't make softwarework.  I think it is the persistence way
beyond where it is reasonable to persist that makes progress possible for
most of us.  Trying to continue to survive and in addition to learn new
things leaves very little time for smelling the roses.  I wonder if they
still smell a little like joy.

Ann Byrne