VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anna Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 22:20:00 EDT
So I bit the bullet, bought agorgeous, really speedy (pentium 166) computer,
complete withWindows95 and Office97, 32 meg of ram, 3gig hard drive.  JFW2.0 has
been moved from the old machine to the new, and I am abyssmally dismayed.
Although JFW handles Windows95 with ease and facility, The crisp interaction
between JFW2.0 and Microsoftword is out the Window (no pun intended)! There is a
delay between moving of the cursor and hearing a character spoken in the new
ms-word. the screen-reader gets lost trying to read a paragraph; editing is an
exercise in (almost) futility; and with a too-quick movement of the tab key in
spell check I can lock up the machine faster than a blink of the proverbial eye,
requiring a complete reboot and defrag and loss of anything I did before saving.
With Microsoft touting active accessibility, one would have hoped for better.  I
will stay with office97 because I refuse to be defeated by a program, and
because retaining my job will require it; but it is definitely--definitely--less
accessible than Office95 was; and the change is unquestionably not in the speech
processor, but in the program.