VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:24:42 -0500
This article sets forward a terrific vision and advances a number of ideas
on how to use cyberspace to create community rather than isolation.  Dig
deeper into this topic by following the many useful and helpful links at
the end.

kelly

The Nation

      June 21, 1999

                              THE NET THAT BINDS

  USING CYBERSPACE TO CREATE REAL COMMUNITIES

     by ANDREW L. SHAPIRO
     See below for background and related information.

     One of the curious things about living through a time of whirlwind
     change is that it is often difficult to understand exactly what is
     changing. In recent years, new technology has given us the ability
     to transform basic aspects of our lives: the way we converse and
     learn; the way we work, play and shop; even the way we participate
     in political and social life. Dissidents around the world use the
     Internet to evade censorship and get their message out.
     Cyber-gossips send dispatches to thousands via e-mail. Musicians
     bypass record companies and put their songs on the Web for fans to
     download directly. Day traders roil the stock market, buying
     securities online with the click of a mouse and selling minutes
     later when the price jumps.

     There is a common thread underlying such developments. It is not
     just a change in how we compute or communicate. Rather, it is a
     potentially radical shift in who is in control--of information,
     experience and resources. The Internet is allowing individuals to
     make decisions that once were made by governments, corporations and
     the media. To an unprec-edented degree, we can decide what news and
     entertainment we're exposed to and whom we socialize with. We can
     earn a living in new ways; we can take more control of how goods
     are distributed; and we can even exercise a new degree of political
     power. The potential for personal growth and social progress seems
     limitless. Yet what makes this shift in power--this control
     revolution--so much more authentic than those revolutions described
     by techno-utopian futurists is its volatility and lack of
     preordained outcome.

     Contrary to the claims of cyber-romantics, democratic empowerment
     via technology is not inevitable. Institutional forces are
     resisting, and will continue to resist, giving up control to
     individuals. And some people may wield their new power carelessly,
     denying themselves its benefits and imperiling democratic values.
     Nowhere are the mixed blessings of the new individual control more
     evident than in the relationship of the Internet to
     communities--not just "virtual communities" of dispersed
     individuals interacting online but real, geographically based
     communities.

     Masters of Our Own Domains

     The Internet's impact on community has everything to do with a
     digital phenomenon known as personalization, which is simply the
     ability to shape one's experience more precisely--whether it's
     social encounters, news, work or learning. Traditionally,
     friendships and acquaintances have been structured by physical
     proximity; we meet people because they are our neighbors,
     classmates, co-workers or colleagues in some local organization.
     Much of our information intake--newspapers and radio, for
     example--also reflects locality, and we share these media
     experiences and others (like national television) with those who
     live around us. The global reach and interactivity of the Internet,
     however, is challenging this. Individuals can spend more time
     communicating and sharing experiences with others regardless of
     where they live. As Internet pioneer J.C.R. Licklider wrote back in
     the sixties, "Life will be happier for the on-line individual
     because the people with whom one interacts most strongly will be
     selected more by commonality of interests and goals than by
     accidents of proximity."

     Virtual communities are perfect for hobbyists and others with
     quirky or specialized interests--whether they're fans of swing
     music, chemistry professors or asthma sufferers. Indeed, these
     associations suggest the possibility of whole new forms of social
     life and participation. Because individuals are judged online by
     what they say, virtual communities would appear to soften social
     barriers erected by age, race, gender and other fixed
     characteristics. They can be particularly valuable for people who
     might be reticent about face-to-face social interaction, like gay
     and lesbian teenagers, political dissidents and the disabled.
     ("Long live the Internet," one autistic wrote in an online
     discussion, where "people can see the real me, not just how I
     interact superficially with other people.")

     The Internet also gives individuals a new ability to personalize
     their news, entertainment and other information. And studies of
     Internet use show that users are doing so. Rather than having
     editors and producers choose what they read, hear and watch--as
     with newspapers or television--they are using the interactivity of
     the Net to gather just the material they find interesting. This
     may, among other things, be a winning strategy for dealing with the
     torrent of information that is increasingly pushed at us.

     There is, in fact, plenty to like about personalization. But if
     we're not careful, customizing our lives to the hilt could
     undermine the strength and cohesion of local communities, many of
     which are already woefully weak. For all the uncertainty about what
     "community" really means and what makes one work, shared experience
     is an indisputably essential ingredient; without it there can be no
     chance for mutual understanding, empathy and social cohesion. And
     this is precisely what personalization threatens to delete. A lack
     of common information would deprive individuals of a starting point
     for democratic dialogue, or even fodder for the proverbial
     water-cooler talk. For many decades, TV and radio have been fairly
     criticized for drawing us away from direct interaction in our
     communities. Yet despite this shortcoming (and many others), these
     mass media at least provide "a kind of social glue, a common
     cultural reference point in our polyglot, increasingly
     multicultural society," as media critic David Shaw puts it.

     Online experiences rarely provide this glue. Yes, we can share good
     times with others online who enjoy the same passions as we do. We
     can educate ourselves and even organize for political change. But
     ultimately, online associations tend to splinter into narrower and
     narrower factions. They also don't have the sticking power of
     physical communities. One important reason for this is the absence
     of consequences for offensive behavior online; another is the ease
     of exit for those who are offended. In physical communities, people
     are inextricably bound by the simple difficulty of picking up and
     leaving. On the Net, it's always "where do you want to go today?"
     Are you bored? Ticked off? Then move on! For many, this makes the
     virtual life an attractive alternative to the hard and often
     tiresome work of local community building.

     Some might think that the weakness of online affiliations would
     prevent them from posing any real challenge to physical
     communities. But the ability to meander from one virtual gathering
     to the next, exploring and changing habitats on a whim, is exactly
     the problem. The fluidity of these social networks means that we
     may form weak bonds with others faraway at the expense of strong
     ties with those who live near us.

     Few people, of course, intend to use the Internet in ways that will
     cause them to be distracted from local commitments. But technology
     always has unintended consequences, and social science research is
     beginning to show how this may be true for the Internet.
     Researchers who conducted one of the first longitudinal studies of
     the Internet's social impact, the HomeNet study, were surprised
     when their data suggested that Internet use increases feelings of
     isolation, loneliness and depression. Contrary to their starting
     hypotheses, they observed that regular users communicated less with
     family members, experienced a decline in their contacts with nearby
     social acquaintances and felt more stress. Although the authors
     noted the limitations of their findings, the study's methodology
     has been widely criticized. Until more conclusive results are
     available, however, what's important is that we take seriously the
     hazards outlined in the HomeNet study and attempt to prevent them
     from becoming worse or taking root in the first place.

     And how should we do that? Neo-Luddites would likely recommend
     rejecting technology and returning to our bucolic roots. A more
     balanced and realistic response, however, calls for a reconciling
     of personal desire and communal obligations in a digital world. On
     the one hand, this means acknowledging the sometimes exhilarating
     adventure of indulging oneself online. No one can deny the value of
     being able to form relationships with far-flung others based solely
     on common interests. At the same time, it means not having
     illusions about the durability of those bonds or their ability to
     satisfy fully our deepest needs.

     We must recognize, for selfish and societal reasons alike, the
     importance of focusing on the local. This is where we will find a
     true sense of belonging; shared experience, even if not ideal,
     creates a sense of commitment. This is where democracy and social
     justice must first be achieved; getting our own house in order is
     always the first priority. The Net must therefore be a vehicle not
     just for occasional escapism but for enhanced local
     engagement--online and off.

     Community Networks

     Efforts to employ technology to strengthen local communities are
     not new. They have been tried since the dawn of cable television in
     the seventies and, for more than sixty years, via community radio
     programming. Those technologies, though, are one-to-many. What
     makes the Net so promising as a tool of localism is its capacity
     for interactivity, as well as its nearly unlimited capacity.

     Many early Internet enthusiasts have been strong supporters of
     "community networking," an approach that encourages locally based
     online communication, often at no charge to users. Community
     networking has its origins in services such as the Free-Nets, which
     emerged in the eighties and early nineties to offer online access,
     sometimes along with local news and information. Most Free-Nets
     were noncommercial, with no advertising and no subscription
     charges. Often, they were text-based bulletin board systems run
     voluntarily by computer enthusiasts. And often they were not easy
     for novices to use.

     A good share of these early services, in addition, were not so much
     about local affairs as they were a way for residents to get online
     for free. As a result, Free-Nets and other community networks
     suffered as America Online and other inexpensive (and more
     alluring) gateways to the Net became available. By the late
     nineties, many had gone out of business, as did the National Public
     Telecommunications Network, an umbrella group of Free-Nets that was
     founded in 1986. Still, more than a hundred Internet-based
     community networks in the United States have continued to thrive,
     such as Charlotte's Web in Charlotte, North Carolina; Liberty Net
     in Philadelphia; the Seattle Community Network; and Blacksburg
     Electronic Village in Blacksburg, Virginia.

     Arising from a project that began in 1984, Blacksburg Electronic
     Village appears to be one of the more successful of these
     endeavors. It counts a majority of Blacksburg's 36,000 residents as
     participants. Senior citizens chat with their neighbors online.
     Parents keep abreast of what their kids are doing in school and
     exchange e-mail with teachers. Citizens use Web-based surveys to
     communicate with their municipal government about spending
     priorities. A key feature of successful community networks, in
     fact, is the opportunity they provide citizens to talk--with civic
     leaders and one another. Users don't just want information fed to
     them; they want to generate conversation themselves.

     In a community network in Amsterdam, for example, citizens talk
     about keeping the city's largest park in shape, they argue about
     Amsterdam's proposed transformation from city to province and they
     bombard politicians with questions about Holland's abstruse tax
     laws. Similar results were apparent even in a short-term case study
     involving a group of London neighbors. Microsoft gave them
     computers, Internet access and a way to communicate with one
     another online. Participants used the technology to exchange
     information about local services. Kids asked questions about
     homework. There was a debate about a proposed change in local
     parking rules, and some members even organized to do something
     about disruptive vibrations from a nearby railroad. The dialogue,
     moreover, appeared to translate into stronger ties among neighbors.
     "I used to know maybe five or six people in the street; now I know
     at least forty of them quite well, and some very closely," one
     participant said.

     Even some early online services that didn't start as community
     networks appear to have succeeded precisely because members were
     located mostly in one geographic area. The Well, a pioneering
     online community based in San Francisco (and recently bought by
     Salon, the Internet-magazine-turned-portal), was never intended to
     be about the Bay Area or just for people from there, yet its
     founders knew from the start that a sense of local culture would be
     an important component of the online community. Most interestingly,
     perhaps, they recognized the value that regular face-to-face
     contact would have for members. Monthly Well parties were therefore
     instituted in the San Francisco area and became an important
     element of the online community's identity. Similarly, Echo, a
     prominent New York-based online community, offers regular events
     such as readings, a film series, bar gatherings and softball games.
     As Echo's mission statement says, "We know that the best online
     communities are never strictly virtual." Contrary to the utopian
     notion that the Internet will lift us above the confines of
     geography, then, the history of online communities suggests that
     people want to convene with their geographic neighbors, both online
     and in person.

     Local Gateways

     Given this fact and the success of some community networks, it
     might seem that little needs to be done to achieve balance between
     our desire to surf globally and our need to network locally. Yet as
     the Internet presents the possibility of a more alluring universe
     of distractions and greater social isolation, emphasis on localism
     must become stronger and more explicit. We need to build
     high-quality, Web-based local networks that are ubiquitous,
     accessible and interesting enough so that all Internet users will
     want to use them, at least some of the time. This would insure a
     degree of involvement with community issues and engagement with
     actual neighbors. These networks should not be final destinations,
     though. Instead, reflecting a local/global balance, they should be
     thought of as local gateways to the global Net--and to offline
     interaction, as well.

     Like entry ramps, these gateways should allow users to go anywhere.
     Yet, learning from the successes and failures of predecessors, they
     must provide stimulating content about local issues and an
     opportunity for users to talk with one another. There should be
     resources and discussion about issues that people really care
     about: recreation and entertainment, sports teams, politics,
     schools, shopping and consumer assistance, and crime and safety.
     This alone should entice people to visit. And as local gateways
     facilitate dialogue among community members, eventually empathy,
     interdependence and cooperative action will follow.

     For users without Internet access, the local gateway could be the
     service they call to get online--for free. (The goals of universal
     access and localism could therefore be intertwined.) Following the
     lead of existing community networks, Internet terminals could be
     put in schools and libraries, churches, public housing projects and
     recreation centers. For those who already have online access, the
     local gateway could be used as a portal site on the Web.

     The architecture of the local gateway is crucial. Its blueprint
     should be influenced not just by a local/global balance but by
     other democratic values. For example, citizens should be able to
     speak freely and be heard (even if they can't pay for prominent
     positioning on the site), privacy should be protected and
     public-interest resources should be readily available and easy to
     use. This online "commons" must be a worthy complement to the
     physical public commons--not a substitute, but an extension. It
     should thus have all the quirks and flavor of the geographic
     community for which it is a digital annex, and it should be
     accountable to the members of that community.

     In terms of content and design, there are two models for the kind
     of local gateway I am proposing. One is existing community
     networks, which are generally superb examples because they
     emphasize localism and citizen dialogue. Sometimes, though,
     community networks are an end in themselves, instead of an entrance
     to the whole Net. To draw a larger audience, the gateway format is
     better, because it becomes a routine starting place for users,
     while not confining them. The opposition by some community networks
     to partnering with business may also be counterproductive.
     Blacksburg Electronic Village, for one, claims to have benefited
     greatly from the fact that it began as a partnership among
     government (the town of Blacksburg), academia (Virginia Tech, which
     provided most of the funding) and industry (Bell Atlantic, the
     local phone company, which recently pulled out after four and a
     half years). More than two-thirds of local businesses are on the
     Blacksburg network, which makes it convenient for users. It also
     gives a boost to local vendors who might otherwise lose substantial
     business to huge Internet companies based outside the community--a
     trend that technology critic Richard Sclove aptly calls the
     "cybernetic Wal-Mart effect."

     At the same time, local gateways should not be overly
     commercialized. In particular, citizens should shun attempts by
     corporations to fabricate communities just so they can use members
     as a target audience for sales and advertising. It's a practice
     that has been tried on the Web, though fortunately with little
     success so far. Businesses would be better off working in
     cooperation with community groups and local governments. And
     citizens should welcome their participation, so long as they have a
     local presence and maintain a civic-minded spirit. In fact, the
     cybernetic Wal-Mart effect could be offset, to a degree, by the
     ability of community members to patronize online versions of their
     favorite neighborhood stores, thus supporting their community's tax
     base, employment and conviviality.

     An unlikely boost for local gateways might also come from
     city-oriented commercial Web services such as those provided by
     CitySearch, Yahoo, Microsoft's Sidewalk and AOL's Digital Cities.
     Some American cities have as many as a half-dozen of these sites
     competing for the public's attention. With their collection of
     local news, weather and services such as free e-mail, these sites
     provide a second model for local gateways. Community networking
     activists have traditionally seen them as the enemy because of
     their commercialism and the fact that they attract individuals away
     from nonprofit sites. Yet under the right circumstances, these
     sites could help anchor individuals in their communities. They
     could become partners in the formation of local gateways. (Austin
     Free-Net, for example, has worked closely with the for-profit
     Austin CitySearch.)

     For this to happen, citizens need to leverage the power that
     interactive technology gives them. We need to organize and tell
     these city-based portals that to win our attention they must give
     something back to our communities. They must, for example, donate
     substantial online resources--such as free Web site hosting and
     design, chat forums, dial-up access and hardware--to tenant groups,
     parent-teacher associations, charitable entities, activist groups
     and other community-based organizations. They must offer Internet
     authoring tools that anyone can use to create a dialogue forum. And
     they must find people to lead moderated discussions and otherwise
     work to strengthen communal conversation. (If city-based portals
     are unresponsive to citizen action, activists should investigate
     the possibility of government regulation to achieve at least some
     of these aims.)

     Finally, local gateways should not be seen as a panacea for
     community activism. They must instead be part of a larger strategy
     of face-to-face local engagement--which may nonetheless be more
     effective and more enjoyable thanks to local online interaction, as
     for example in the London experiment.

     Steam and rail gave us the opportunity to flee far from our places
     of birth; telegraph and telephone allowed us to conduct our
     business and social lives from a distance; television insulated us
     further even as it sometimes gave us common experiences. The goal
     of the Internet revolution, if it can be said to have one, should
     not be to replicate the world we know, but to improve it. As we
     explore the farthest reaches of our new World Wide Web, we must
     also use technology to fortify the local webs in which we dwell.

     Andrew L. Shapiro, a Nation contributing editor, is a fellow at the
     Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School and
     director of the Aspen Institute Internet Policy Project. This
     article is adapted from his new book about the politics of the
     Internet, The Control Revolution (PublicAffairs/Century
     Foundation). For more information visit www.controlrevolution.com
     and www.thenation.com.

     Background and Related Information

   American Psychological Association
          American Psychologist published the "HomeNet study" on Internet
          use (September 1998), titled "Internet Paradox: A Social
          Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological
          Well-Being?"
          http://www.apa.org/journals/amp/amp5391017.html

   Salon Magazine
          Salon published a critique of the HomeNet study by Scott
          Rosenberg (September 3, 1998).
          http://www.salonmagazine.com/21st/rose/1998/09/03straight.html

   Association for Community Networking
          ACN has links to many local community networks.
          http://bcn.boulder.co.us/afcn

   Center for Civic Networking
          CCN is a non-profit organization dedicated to applying
          information infrastructure to the broad public
          good--particularly by improving access to information that
          people need to function as informed citizens.
          http://civic.net/ccn.html

   Neighborhoods Online
          Neighborhoods Online is a resource center for people working to
          build strong communities throughout the United States. It aims
          to provide fast access to information and ideas covering all
          aspects of neighborhood revitalization, as well as to create a
          national network of activists working on problems that affect
          us where we live.
          http://www.libertynet.org/nol/natl.html

   Blacksburg Electronic Village
          This is an Internet community open to anyone online who lives
          or works in Blacksburg or Montgomery County, Virginia.
          http://www.bev.net

   The WELL
          The WELL is "an online gathering place like no
          other--remarkably uninhibited, intelligent, and iconoclastic,"
          "a literate watering hole for thinkers from all walks of life,
          be they artists, journalists, programmers, educators or
          activists."
          http://www.well.com

   Communications of the ACM
          Features a piece by Douglas Schuler titled "Community Networks:
          Building a New Participatory Medium" (January 1994).
          http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/cpn/sections/topics/networking/c
          ivic_perspectives/comm_networks.html