From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 13:15:44 -0400
On Fri, 16 May 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:

> Wow, that sounds great.  I thought you were talking about
> commercial salami.

Originally, that's what I was thinking about.  I have been so
brainwashed by years of low-fat propaganda that I haven't even
thought about eating salami in a long time.  Then yesterday a
colleague of mine who is into backpacking was telling me of how
it is a problem for long-distance hikers to find sufficiently
calorie-dense foods to sustain them (and be relatively portable).
I mentioned pemmican, and he said that some do use it; others
take along a log of German hard salami.  That's what started the
wheels turning in my mind about this.

It's easy enough to become actually phobic about fat. Indeed, I
find that this whole paleodiet idea makes me a bit nervous, as if
the Low-Fat Police are going to kick the door down any minute.

I was doing quite well on the Zone, but getting a lot of protein
from dairy sources.  I'm not yet a "pure" NeanderThin adept, but
I have been free of starches, grains, and dairy for a week now.
I figure that's about 80% of the way.  I am still losing body
fat, but I think I am also skimping somewhat on portions, because
I have not yet liberated myself from the
weighing/measuring/restricting mindset.  I have not yet dared to
chow down the way Ray Audette describes it.

But eating salami is a giant step in the right direction, right?

Todd Moody