From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 05:09:15 -0700
Interesting that it appears that smokers are at a reduced risk of lung
cancer if they have 3 or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

The link seems to be the increased intake of carotenoids (alpha- and beta-
carotene).

2 or fewer servings had a 70% increase risk over those at 4 or more
servings of fruits and veggies.

I thought this was of particular interest, because 1 in 4 Canadians still
smoke and second hand smoke is still a very big issue.  (I'm not sure of US
rates of smoking.)

But that is one area of NeanderThin that is well covered in our paleo diet.
 Typically we get lots of servings, even us on strictly controlled grams of
carbohydrates find lots to eat containing carotenoids.

Grant

STONE and SPEAR   [log in to unmask]
PALEOFOOD, LC-DIABETES and ATKINS-NEW Support Group Information click on:
http://www.mountain-inter.net/~magnuson/
----->

Reference: Ziegler RG,, Colavito EA, Hartge P, McAdms MJ, Schoenberg JB,
Mason TJ and Fraumeni JF, J.N.C.I. 88:612-5, 1996