From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 23:31:05 -0700
I see in the news that the "meat industry" is pushing strongly for the
opportunity to use irradiation on a wider scale.

There was mention of it already being in use for chicken, fruits and a
few other food items, but so far it's use on beef seems not to be
approved or fraught with problems such as consumers being "afraid" and
"shying" away from meat with large irradiation labels.

I just don't know anything about what the process is or what it's
adversaries are claiming to be the problems with it's use?

I've seen no such labeling at any place we've shopped and was wondering
if someone can expand on what's "going on" or "coming down" with
irradiation and why, if it works against such things as E. Coli, isn't
it's use more wide spread?