From:
JOHN PIERCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:17:35 -0700
A question came up on Atkins New...thought I would post it here too.  A
man posted a message saying he had reached a weight loss "plateau".  I
have had recent experience that I thought might shed light on the
situation.  The following is my reply:

I don't read Atkins New very much any more (I got involved with
Lowcarb-l, oriented more toward bodybuilders and the cyclical approach),

but I did notice your post.  I am on a ketogenic diet, similar to
Atkins, and keep careful track of weights and body fat using skinfold
calipers.

Last week I *gained* 2 pounds (183-185) but *lost* body fat!  I am now
in the 9% body fat range. (I don't always convert the skinfold
measurements to body fat, as I actually am interested more into losing
real measurable fat than calculating approximate body fat percentages
using any
number of 4-5 formulas!)  I used to be in the 22% range, not that long
ago, actually.  Most importantly, these skinfold measurements keep
showing real fat loss regardless of whether my scales tell me my weight
is up or down.  (I always try to weigh myself when I am fully hydrated,
first thing in the morning, so I am not storing a lot of water...the
difference can be as much, in my case, as 3-4# in a single day, just by
changing my drinking of water...the more I drink, the less I weigh...)

Muscle weighs more than fat.  With all the protein in this diet and the
workouts I'm doing (along with cardio), the net effect is that that we
can pick up lean body mass (mostly muscle) that weighs more than the net

fat loss in any given time period, esp. a week..  Yet if we go just by
the scale, we could easily assume that we are backsliding! Yet, in so
many cases, the whole story is one of success in exactly the area we
want success...losing real fat, not weight for its own sake!

I do email coaching of female strength athletes (bodybuilders and
fitness athletes) and find this a hard lesson to get across to women,
but once I can get them to use a simple skinfold check, they find it a
liberating experience and are generally encouraged by the results if
they are committed to the lowcarb principles in real life *and* are
doing something of an exercise program.

These skinfold calipers don't have to be expensive.  I use a very
accurate one that I got by mail for about $30.  The results compare with

instruments that cost hundreds.  Email me if you are interested (I don't

sell them but will give you a toll-free number to call)....if you have a

well-stocked health/strength store locally, choose one with a spring
action, not a "friction" action, which is very inconsistent and mostly
inaccurate...I know, I spent $20 for such a piece of junk!  For just a
little more, you can get a good one.

Hope this helps, and don't give up...you may be doing *far* better than
you think!

Happy fat-losing!
John Pierce