From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:58:26 -0400
This is something I keyed in a while back from a flyer passed out by a
dietician. The cooking time could be some indication of just how much
toxins have to be cleared out. But lima beans below is 45 minutes of
cooking, plus soaking. I certainly didn't cook my fresh ones that long!
What motivated me to post this, is someone on the Special Carbohydrate Diet
(for Inflamatory Bowel Disorders) was saying that they could eat lentils,
but not other beans. Most beans are out on that diet, but then lentils, as
noted below, don't need to be soaked, and are cooked the shortest. Don.

                      Cooking Time

Lentils, orange        20 minutes
Split peas             30-35 minutes
Lentils, brown         35 minutes

These need to be soaked:

Mung beans             35 minutes
Fava beans             30-40 minutes
Adzuki beans           40 minutes
Lima Beans             45 minutes
Red Beans              45 minutes
Black-eyed peas        1 hour
Great Northern Beans   1 hour
Kidney beans           1 hour
Navy beans             1 hour
Pinto beans            1 hour
Flageolot beans        1 hour, 10 minutes
Black beans            1 hour, 20 minutes
Cannellini beans       1 hour, 35 minutes
Chick-peas             2 hours
Soybeans               2 hours, 30 minutes

You can quick-soak beans in an hour: Bring the water to a boil and cook for
2 minutes. Then, just remove the pot from the heat and let it stand,
covered, for an hour.

For longer soaking, just let the beans sit in the water for at least 6
hours (if longer, in refrigerator).

Discard the soaking water.