From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 05:21:01 -0400
>Paul, I'm sure you're a good dentist, and certainly what you say is
>consistent with what I have been hearing all my life, but I question
>whether you understand that there might be perfectly valid reasons
>for a person not doing this?
I understand that many people can't do a perfect job at OH, and also that
lots of people just aren't going to do it perfectly because, lets face it,
you just can't do everything perfectly in life...you can't be that
interested or concerned all the time about every aspect in your life.  I
don't rotate my tires when I should, my diet is often atrocious, I don't
save for retirement like I should, I go through years where I don't
exercize all the time.  Teeth are just one part of life needing attention
among many others all needing more attention.  I'm just trying to point out
that blame shouldn't be placed on the wrong places.

 In my case, I have an extremely small
>mouth   I need to find other solutions.

I have one:  the Braun-Oral B electric toothbrush.  I started using it when
I was amazed how some of my elderly patients were doing so much better when
using it.  It has a small head, and all you have to do is get the thing in
the place where it's hard to clean and it does all the work.  I love it.
For 60 bucks you can't beat it.  Mines going strong with 4 users after 3
years!

>I do find much less tartar and plaque in my mouth since I've been
>low-carbing, and my gum problems have diminished considerably with no
>change in my dental hygiene.

Low carb should definitely help.  You have better will power than me.  But
try the Braun along with it.

Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC