From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:37:08 -0400
To those of you who think that Americans have changed their diets because
of all the low fat hype, I can tell you that from what I saw in Martha's
vineyard last week on vacation, I don't think it's happened.

        Everywhere I looked I saw people gorging on extra cheese pizza, long lines
at ice cream parlors, restaurants with menues of all kinds of things with
heavy sauces and french fries, and even the salads were drenched in high
fat dressings with cheese all over them.  Bakeries were the big thing, with
heavy oily muffins and cookies and carrot cake (heavy on the icing) the
hits.

        Seafood mostly breaded and fried in vegetable fat.  Pies, chocolates,
chips, all this stuff people eating up like there was no tomorrow.

        The people waiting in line for the ice cream cones are the same people who
buy Snackwell's low fat crackers and oiless butter.  I don't think there is
a major change in diet toward low fat.  In fact there is probably an
increase in junk food in the diet of Americans.

        This list has been making me think differently about our diet.  Trouble
is, I was waiting in line for ice cream when I was thinking about it.
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC