From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:28:39 -0400
>Lisa,
>I live in Maryland, and was out walking my dog in the woods today and
>stumbled across a cluster of wild blueberry bushes!  I was thrilled, and
>picked a bunch of them.  The 'older' ones (just beyond ripe, beginning to
>lose their plumpness' were the sweetest -- possibly because the slight
>water loss was concentrating the sugars in the berries.
>
>I'm not sure what other wild fruits might be found in this area (I've found
>wild raspberries on an old farm); can anyone recommend a good guide book?

1.  Peterson's Guide to Edible Wild Plants........one of the best and found
in many bookstores
2.  Billy Joe Tatum's Wild Foods Field Guide and Cookbook......fairly easy
to find
3.  Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants by Bradford Angier.....one of the
standards and easy to find
4.  The wild Food Trailguide by Alan Hall.....found in many camping type
stores
5.  Tom brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants.......not too
much on fruit but good reading and in many bookstores
6.  An Instant Guide to Edible Plants, by Pamela Forey and Cecilia
Fitzsimons.....a small book for quick introduction of edible plants.  Well
organized.
7.  Edible Wild Plants of Pennsyvalnia and Neighboring States, by Medve and
Medve........good for your area.  Found in bookstores in the midatlantic area.
8.  Wild Food by Roger Phillips.....a beautiful book.  Makes you want to go
out and find wild food and gives great recipes.  I haven't seen this many
places.
9.  Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North America, by Fernald and Kinsey.  A
classic but it was written in 1943 and difficult to find.  However there is
a Dover books edition now.
10. An Outdoorsman's Guide to Edible Wild Plants in North America by Alyson
Hart Knap....printed in 1975, probably difficult to find now.  good reading
though.
11.  Edible Wild Plants by Dykeman (?).... I can't find my copy right now
but this, along with Peterson's, would be my first pick.  Very well
organized and lots of information.

There are many others, but if you want more information, please email me.
If you have specific information I could look up for you, just let me know.
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC