From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:43:53 -0400
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]> posted:

>Having existed for eons in an environment where only lean meat was
>available, our ancestors would have found a fast-food hamburger a
>gustatorial paradise.  It is precisely what our ancestors loved about
>fat - its incredibly rich content of calories - that makes it so bad in
>modern times, when fat is available in great quantities.  This
>evolutionary legacy in our food psychology is the reason that fatty
>foods cause so much trouble for those of us who live in the food-rich
>industrialized West today

As has been pointed out on the PaleoDiet mailing list, hunter/gathers seek
out the fatty organs and bone marrow, and look down on the muscle meats
that we now seek out. It has been speculated that the megafauna were killed
off into extinction by humans, as they just ate the select fatty parts and
abandoned the rest of the animal.

Also it has been discussed there that the Intuit are fully aware of the
need to eat fat, and not meat alone, to keep from getting sick.

The authors of the book have clearly fallen into the low fat paradigm and
forced the facts to make it fit.

Don.