NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 06:55:41 -0700
Heidi Loncosky wrote:

> I'd love to feed my son something chocolate, but evertime I do, his behavior
> changes. I try to stay away from anything the chocolate, chocolate flavored,
> etc.  Ever once in awhile I let him try something and we always get the same
> result. I'm baffled as to what is causing this reaction.  Doe anyone have an
> idea.
>
>I have observed the chocolate phenomenon for about 11 years now in practice. I don't know much, but here's what I have observed: Each and every patient who reacts to dairy foods, also reacts to chololate, only worse. This is mainly with musculoskeletal disorders and pain complexes, but depression and hyperactivity and irritability and mood changes are common reactions. Even chocolate that contains no dairy will set off the reaction.

It seems at this forum there are many who have not had that experience,
and that's great. We all love chocolate. But being cautious, I would
advise parents to be wary and watch for possible problems with
chocolate. The symptoms may differ from your child's usual dairy
symptoms, or they may be subclinical, or they may be unapparent until
some cumulative degeneration takes place, or non-existant.

I suspect the caffeine and theobromine, both powerful stimulants and
alkaloids that can have a powerful effect on the nervous system. In
fact, I have an inkling that most allergic reactions originate from
lesions in the central nervous system----just a thought. There could
also be some cross connection between casein allergy and chocolate
allergy.

That doesn't clear things up much, does it? The hankering for chocolate,
or craving if you like, is a real thing that will go away with
abstinence (I speak from personal experience). But I know the addiction
is alive and well and could be activated by exposure.

I guess the bottom line, Heidi, is that your child should avoid it, and
maybe try carob.

Daniel A. twogood, D.C.