Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:26:12 -0700

Hi, I wrote in last week and asked if you could possible have celiac
disease but not have intestinal symptoms.  I am having aborption problems
with vitamin D and low calcium.  I asked if this could be a symptoms of
celiac disease.  I received many interesting responses which I will outline
here but at the end of my message I am going to copy a post of a very
interesting articule that someone sent me that exactly sounds like the
problem the doctors say that I have.

I had over 20 responses to my question.  Some people just wrote in to say
that yes, you could have vitamin/mineral deficiencies and no intestinal
problems and be diagnosed as a celiac.

13 people wrote in that they had no intestinal problems at the time of
diagnoses but that celiac was found after presenting with anemia and other
nutritional deficiencies.  Some also had thyroid deficiencies (which I also
have).

3 people wrote in with exactly my problem of calcium deficiency.

Here is the interesting post that I received from someone explaining my
problem.  Sorry this is all so long!  I am not good at this so if it needs
changing, please do so.  Thanks, kathy

---------------------------------------
Ott, S.M., Tucci, J.R., Heaney, R.P. and Marx, S.J. 1997. Hypocalciuria and
abnormalities in mineral and skeletal homeostasis in patients with celiac
sprue without intestinal symptoms.  Endocrinology and Metabolism 4:201-206.

Abstract:

Celiac sprue may be asymptomatic in terms of the gastrointestinal tract
and, as a result, may go unrecognized for long periods of time.  The
objective of this report is to characterize patients who only show signs of
abnormalities of mineral and skeletal homeostasis.  We present data from
six patients seen in academic clinics who eventually were diagnosed with
celiac sprue.  Serum and urine biochemical tests and bone density were
measured.  Results showed that the patients had variable initial
presentations.  Biochemical findings included hypocalciuria, hypocalcemia,
low serum 25-OH vitamin D and carotene levels and increased serum
parathyroid hormone (PTH) and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25 (OH)2D] levels.
Gluten-free diet resulted in clinical improvement.  Low urine calcium was a
consistent finding in these patients.  We conclude that celiac sprue should
be considered in patients with osteopenia or hypocalcemia, even in the
absence of gastrointestinal signs or symptoms.

The authors review the literature of aspects of mineral metabolism and
skeletal homeostasis that may result from celiac sprue in the absence of
gastrointestinal symptoms, from 1956 on;  several case histories, with some
bone pain, or multiple serious fractures, poor bone density, osteopenia.
Several studies have shown that patients treated with gluten-free diets had
higher bone densities than untreated patients.

There is a paragraph on different responses to calcitriol (1,25 dihydroxy
Vitamin D), and another paragraph on the consistent finding of low urine
calcium.

[I quote from one paragraph in the discussion:
"Two thirds of our patients were first cousins.  There is evidence in
support of a genetic component to celiac sprue with an increased incidence
of this disease in other family members and a concordance of 70% in
identical twins.  First-degree relatives of patients with celiac sprue have
an increased prevalence of the disorder that varies from 2-20%."

And also, in a paragraph discussing asymptomatic celiac sprue:  "Another
study in Germany found that in 47 patients with celiac sprue, the interval
from initial symptoms to diagnosis was 8.3 years.  Approximately one-third
of cases had predominantly skeletal symptoms without typical
gastrointestinal symptoms.  [Kruse, H.P., Ringe, J.D.,
Tomforde-Brunckhorst, R. 1987.  Non-tropical sprue, a frequently
unrecognized cause of high-grade generalized osteopathy.  Dtsch. Med.
Wochenschr. 112:1155-1159.]"

------
There is none like the God of  Israel
Who rides the heavens to your Help