From:
Bobbi Chukran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 20:54:49 -0600

I can't believe that anyone on this list would deny that Lynda's symptoms
were real.  But that sounds like just what happened.

Of course you can get sick in a health foods store.  Good grief--I'm not  a
diagnosed celiac yet, but I do have allergies to over 50 foods that I know
of and sensitivities to all chemicals.  I have major reactions in our
health foods stores near here.  For one thing, they are always cooking (or
should I say burning) meat in the meat dept., refilling bins of bulk
herbs/spices/ground pepper/etc., not to mention the flours and granolas and
cereals, etc. etc. etc. and the dusts from them and the molds.

Then there's the incense, and the candles and the essential oils.  And it
is filled with plants, that give off mold spores so thick I can smell them.

My husband, who claims he has no allergies at all, gets very nasty and
disoriented in that store.  It's not a coincidence--it happens too many
times.

There is a real correlation between allergies, and chemical sensitivities,
and problems with the intestinal lining (i.e. celiac and other gastro
diseases).  Anyone that denies that has never read any of the research
about lucky gut syndrome or food allergies.

As for what to do about it, I don't have the answer--I wish I did.  A
charcoal mask would help.  Complaining to the management might help.
Sending someone else to the store for you would help if that is an option.

What I do is practice avoidance--I never go into places with cigarette
smoke; I stay out of malls; I never go into beauty salons that do perms,
etc. with chemicals; I never go into old houses or places that reek with
mold, etc.  I try to stay away from foods that I know I'm allergic to.
That way the toxic load is not so heavy, and I can make the occasional trip
to the health foods store.

And YES--this can actually happen!  I'm living proof of that.

Good luck--
Bobbi