From:
Bobbi Chukran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:08:13 -0600

First of all, I'd like to thank all those who responded to my question
about untreated CD.  And especially thanks to Dr. Joseph Murray, who gave
quite a comprehensive answer.

To those who chided me for letting my CD go untreated, I do want to make it
clear that I haven't been diagnosed as being celiac.  I FINALLY got an
appointment with an internist for Sept. 25 after seeing the GP twice for
the bloody stools.  I'm not sure if this new doctor is going to be open to
testing for gluten intolerance or not, but I'll ask.  They are going to do
the colonoscopy, so that at least will rule out other problems (I hope) so
I won't have to worry about that.

After reading your answers to my question, there is no doubt in my mind
that if I am diagnosed as having CD, I will comply with the diet.  Too
scary otherwise!

Here's a summary of the answers.  Most people mentioned the same ones over
and over.

Long term effects of undiagnosed/untreated celiac disease:

1.      Damage to the villi.  They become flattened, absorb less nutrition
from food.  Completely flattened, they absorb nothing, and you eventually
starve to death.  The muscles are destroyed by the body because it uses
them for food.  Malabsorption and all its inherent problems.
2.      Anemia
3.      Significant risk of osteoporosis/bone fractures
4.      higher incidences of digestive cancers and cancer of the lymphatic
system
5.      higher incidences of diabetes, thyroid problems and other
autoimmune disorders
6.      vitamin/mineral deficiencies
7.      neurological problems/seizures
8.      lactose intolerance/continued gastrointestinal problems
9.      problems with nervous system, infertility and joints
10.     if left untreated long enough, there is a condition called
refractory sprue, where the intestines won't "bounce back" even if you do
go on the GF diet.
11.     dental problems
12.     stunted growth in children
13.     endocrine problems

Also, as Dr. Murray pointed out, some don't have any symptoms at all, but
the damage is still being done to their intestines.

Thanks again, group--
Bobbi