Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 00:24:15 -0400

I want to thank everybody for their response to my post.

I mentioned that I had skin allergy testing for 67 foods and they all came
back negative even though I have allergic reactions to 10 of them.  I also
said my allergist may have me try the prescription Gastrocrom to see if
that helps my allergies.

The responses I received suggesting what the allergies could have been
caused from -
2 people  -  leaky gut
1 person  -  overactive adrenal glands
1 person  -  maybe adrenal insufficiency, faulty neuro-
                   transmitter responses, enzyme deficiencies.

2 people said they did not believe skin testing appropriate.

3 people suggested the RAST test.

3 people thought I should try the elimination diet - drastically
   simplifying the diet until there are no more reactions, then
   gradually adding back foods.

1 person thinks that CD compromises the immune system so
   that those of us with Celiac Disease tend to have more and
   stronger auto-immune disorders.

GASTROCROM -
I have four responses and I contacted the company that makes Gastrocrom.

The lady at the company told me that Gastrocrom is recom-
mended for mastocytosis mass cell disease.  Evidentally some doctors use it
for allergies but this company does not state that Gastrocrom is for
allergies.

1 person tried it and made her irritable.

1 person has been on Gastrocrom for eosinophilic gastro-
   enteritis for four months and it seems to be helping.  But
   she must still avoid foods she knows she is allergic to.

1 person wouldn't expect Gastrocrom to work for Celiacs
   because it prevents histamine release in the gut.  Celiacs
   have a different problem - release of an antibody that
   attacks the lining of the small intestine.

1 person said it worked OK for her but stopped taking it.
   Think it is better to not eat the food than to mask the
   symptoms with a drug.

If I do try this medication I will let you know how it works for me.

Marilyn      [log in to unmask]         Florida