From:
Susan Duchesneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:08:48 -0400

Hi.
  I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter with CD.  She had two biopsies to
confirm the diagnosis (18 mths & 2yrs old).  Last week, I introduced my
4 1/2 month old son to infant oatmeal.  He is nursing and eating rice
cereal as well.  Within a day of being on the oatmeal, his personality
changed from happy to fussy.  He began having mucousy stools within a
few days.  On Monday, he vomited several times.  Yesterday he had a
yellow stool that smelled like the ones that my daughter use to have
before going GF although it had consistency to it.  My son just started
day care, but none of the other babies in his class are sick with a
virus.

  So, my questions to you are:
1.  When introducing a baby to gluten for the first time, how quickly
will you see the reaction?
2.  How can I tell whether it is CD or a regular virus (do stools look,
smell different)?
3.  What should I do?  I'm really not up for going through what I did
with my daughter.  I don't want to see him suffer.  I've taken him off
of the oatmeal as of today.  Maybe I'll wait several months to introduce
gluten again.

  Thanks for your help!
      Susan