From:
Keren Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:22:44 -0500

Hi everybody,
First I wish to thank all the list members that took their time to reply to
my post.

Most of the replies had suggested that celiac disease between identical twins
is less than 100% , more like 70%.
A question was raised as to the importance of genes for celiac disease.
Since identical twins are genetically identical.
And Celiac disease does have a strong base in genes, something else is
needed, some environmental factor to trigger the disease in a
genetically susceptible host.

There is also a possibility that the twin may not have the disease at
this point but may develop it later in life and it may present
differently from the other twin.

The twin studies serve to illustrate the difference between a disease
that is strictly genetic in it nature and one that has a genetic
susceptibility.   many people can have the genes but never get the
disease.

I had also recieved suggestions that the tests that my twin sister went
through for diagnosis were not accurate, perhaps because the classic Celiac
symptoms are not present yet.

Some people share their personal situations of sets of twins that both have
Celiac Disease in different intensities and symptoms.

All the input was great, it was all very helpful and supportive.
I thank you all again,

Keren in NY