Chris Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:08:30 -0400

On Sat Aug 09 22:33:06 1997 -10.00, I wrote to the Celiac Newsgroup

>I'm allways concerned that my children and grand children could
>present with CD.
>
>I see and hear about their ailments which often I see links to
>symptoms that I and other Coeliacs may have had and wonder if
>their Dr is clued up enough to check it out.
>
>My grandson has a patchy rash only on his legs for which he was
>prescribed a cortisone creams. This worked for a short while and
>then became uneffective. He scratches it untill it bleeds. The
>Play Scholl he attends expressed concern at these raised round
>patches.  We thought it could be a contact rash affected by man
>made fibres but that wasn't it. I thought of DH and printed out a
>bit of Web Page FAQ for my Son in Law and Daughter to read. I
>worry that she may not want the Dr to send him off to a GE for
>tests and Biopsy or may be seeing a Dr that is not familiar with
>the condition.
>
>Am I over concerned. There is a limit to how far you can go before
>interfering in the life of your kids. Any comments on approach
>would be appreciated.

I received 14 responses all from USA summarised as follows :

The Reaction to the Problem.
1.All were from the mothers Side ;-)..!!!?
2.Concern can extend to older members of the family - I remember wondering
about my mother and father's condition.
3.Leaving information on the table serupticiously - sounds good. Need to
present information for those suspected of CD or DH to take at their own
discretion.
4.Work it around with lots of tact for their sake - It is concerning to
wait until much damage is done.
5.Self diagnose and try GF even for a few weeks - This could work only if
the parents would give it a trial.
6.Get a blood test - not accurate enough and they are averse to try.
7.Much concern and understanding given by respondents.
8.Must keep on trying but it is the Parents who are responsible
I will hang in there and keep posting the odd FAQ sheet to their homes!

The Response to the Symptoms
1.Sounds like Ring worm - Checked that but no it isn't. Dr has a
Dermatologist lined up if Hydrocortosone cream is not effective. We will
see in 4 weeks of applying cream 2 times a day......
2.Sounds like a Gluten reaction.
3.Check clothing for wheat starch.

Thanks everyone for the kind effort and speedy replies. Apologies for the
time it took to analyse and report to the group. I am a busy working
Grandfather. This is going to be slow but we will get to the bottom of it
eventually.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Chris

(the Grand Dad in question)