VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
DMFISHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:23:37 -0500
I would have no objection to paying a fee for classes.  I'm not sure of
its feasibility simply because of numbers.  Computer centers, community
colleges, adult schools have enrollees from their communities; they may
only get one disabled person.  A friend recently enrolled in an adult
school for some windows 95 training; they handed him the tutorial from
jaws and that was the extent of the training.  My stepdaughter worked as a
teacher's aide at an adult school; classes were geared for people to learn
at their own pace; they had books and exercises and tests at each level.
They would not know what to do with a visually impaired person; they do
not know keyboard commands; as good as my stepdaughter is, you take her
mouse away from her and she's lost.  I think we are just too scattered to
make such classes feasible.

I would bet that most community college or adult schools lack accessible
and adaptive equipment.

Doris Fisher
Bellflower, California