Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:19:55 -0800
Hi Kent,

Kent Multer wrote:

> QUESTION:  any other types of meat that you (anyone out there) especially
> like?

London broil.

> * Suet:  this is a particular type of beef fat.  Other types will not work
> correctly, so be sure you get the right stuff.

I haven't been able to get suet, but I don't think this means I'm
doomed. My pemmican may not last indefinetly but this doesn't diminish
it for my purposes.

> QUESTIONS:
>  1.  Is "tallow" the same as suet, or is this a more generic term for
> animal fat?

I'm not positive, but tallow is the any-animal fat used to make soap and
candles. Suet is that fat.

> PREPARING THE MEAT
> ------------------
>
> than bend.  Break it up by hand or with a food processor.  Some people like

Don't think breaking it up by hand is going to work too well.

> Cut the suet into small chunks, and heat it in a pan over LOW heat -- don't
> let it get hot enough to smoke, as it may give the pemmican a bad taste.

If the fat gets too hot it will smoke, which is unpleasant. It also will
create trans-fats and will cook the chipped beef when poured over it.

> Well, that's what I've been able to collect so far.  Please feel free to

Looks like you're starting off well prepared.

Good luck!,

Micke