Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:23:15 -0500
Moira: What makes Stevia sweet? Interesting question. I found ( a couple of
years ago) a GRAS Petition to the FDA answering the feds questions about
why they should let stevia back into the country. I believe you can
download a copy ( a good 20 pages or more) at http://www.healthfree.com (a
newsletter from "Healthfree" - have no idea where they come from). This was
also found at the American Herb site (sorry- I have mislaid the address).
In the report  STEVIOSIDE and REBADIANOSIDE.  Were cited as the chemicals
produced by the leaves - and most importantly -the veins in the leaves were
these chemicals were isolated.  It is not uncommon to sprinkle the leaves
into the food you are eating, rather than buying a ground up powder that
purportedly was made of the leaves.  There is a liquid form of Stevioside
(I don't know the brand name) sold in most health food stores. Check the
label when you do buy anything, though. If there's anything else on that
label, I'd grow my own. I do have a chart using this liquid form of
stevioside where some kind soul on the Low Carb List took the time to test
and determine equivalencies with stevia and sugar last April 97. I'm sure
they started a few months earlier than April though. That stuff is POTENT!
In the course of checking addresses for you this time, I discovered a line
I'd either ignored, or missed. It stated that the stevioside eventually
convert to rebaudianoside (which is the safer and less disagreeable) form
of the sweetening agent. You can make your own stevioside, then use the
sevia-sugar chart to make a version I could abide.  It is so sickenly sweet
that I thought  the HFS where I first tried it, had made a mistake when
mixing up a batch for folks to sample. My main interest in stevia now, is
to make a syrup (without using cornstarch to thicken up the water mix) for
when I want some French toast. (I am not perfect and still do occasionally
indulge.) Try this address and see if the info there can help you. Regards,
Sherry