NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:02:45 -0500
John G. Feldman wrote:

>  Looking for
> support in the following:  diet recommendations --e.g. lists of foods without
> milk,  support groups/organizations, and anything from anyone who has any
> experience with milk allergies causing hyperactivity.

John, may I suggest you do a search for recipes in this lists archives.
You will be surprised how many have been mentioned.

What foods are you having trouble with?  Most people have trouble
getting away from cheeses mostly, and unfortunately there are no good
substitutes.  We have discussed many versions of cheeseless pizza
perfect for a 5 year old though.

Muffins, pancakes, cakes and cookies and many cereals are all hard to
find and pretty much need to be made at home.  Health Valley's granola
bars are dairy free but they do have some dairy products in their plant,
so you need to determine your risk levels on possible exposure.
Kelloggs is very helpful regarding allergies and I would recommend
calling their 1-800 number to get their most up to date lists.  Matt's
cookies are kosher pareve (dairy free) but I don't really like the taste
very much.  You can also get Stella Doro pareve baked goods.

I would recommend Jane Zukin's _Dairy Free Cookbook_ as an excellent
jump off point to get you started.  I found a copy at my library and
later bought one.  Substitutions are very necessary and we all have our
favorites.  Instead of milk in baked goods I usually use friuit juices
or water.  Be sure to use baking powder instead of baking soda!  Tofu
(assuming no soy allergy) makes a wonderful pudding and mashed can even
substitute for cottage cheese in most recipes.

Feel free to ask for suggestions when troubled by a new recipe.  When
you are 5 and just need a peanut butter cookie and no one can figure out
how to make one for you it can be very frustrating!!!  (Can you tell I
have boys that age?).

 Also we have had him
> switched to goats milk which he is doing great on but I am getting
> conflicting information on whether or not the casein protein exists in its
> same form in goats milk as in cows milk.

Goat's milk works for some but not many over the long term.  Many who
try them become allergic to them within two years.  I would recommend
looking into rice, soy, potato or oat based milk substitutes.  His taste
for them will take a little while to change and you can move him over
gradually.

Best of luck to you!

--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd