VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Visually Impaired Pittsburgh Area Computer Enthusiasts! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 00:11:49 -0500
A few weeks ago VIPACE received a number of e-mail messages following the
publication of an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.  Unfortunately,
we had no electronic version to share and only one person at the last
VIPACE meeting had heard it read on the radio reading service.

A few minutes ago, I came upon http://olc.library.cmu.edu/ while looking
at some library pages.  This is the URL for a database which allows
searching of several years of the Post Gazette.  I entered the following
into the search field : "Willie Wilson blind computer user"  and was able
to read the March article!
Oddly, the page could not be saved as a lynx bookmark.  I imagine it is
created on the fly and has no persistent URL.

The material is Copyrighted by PG Publishing, but I'm sure that they
would be glad to know that those mentioned in the story can now read it
independently.

----  without further delay ---

   TITLE:   WANTED: EQUAL ACCESS

   BLIND PEOPLE, MICROSOFT SEEK SOLUTION TO ICON-BASED COMPUTER SOFTWARE
   THAT LEAVES THE SIGHT-IMPAIRED BEHIND

   AUTHOR:   BY KELLY D. BURGESS

   SOURCETAG:   9703130245

   PUBDATE:   970313

   TDATE:   Thursday, March 13, 1997

   EDITION:   SOONER

   SECTION:   LIFESTYLE

   PAGE:   D-1

   ILLUSTRATION:   PHOTO

   CAPTION:   PHOTO: Darrell Sapp/Post-Gazette: While William Wilson, who
   is blind, was working on his computer bulletin board, his dog
   ``Leroy'' tried to get some attention.

   MEMO:   Kelly Burgess is a free-lance writer who lives in West Deer.

   LEAD:   You're cruising the Internet when you see the cyber equivalent
   of orange cones ahead:

   ``WARNING! There are blind people driving on the Information
   Superhighway! Proceed with caution!''

   REST:

   It is a startling first glimpse, for those who can see it, of the home
   page for the Visually Impaired Pittsburgh Area Computer Enthusiasts,
   or VIPACE. For those who can't see it, the warning is almost more
   compelling, delivered in the flat, urgent ``voice'' of a speech
   synthesizer.

   In the early years of the home-computer revolution, speech
   synthesizers gave blind and sight-impaired people access to bulletin
   boards and other services, thanks in part to VIPACE. People like Jerry
   Berrier, 44, of Dormont, who has been blind since birth, discovered
   that computers could make him much more productive, leveling the
   playing field for him and co-workers at Bell Atlantic of Pittsburgh.

   ``I can't even begin to express what computers have done for my life.
   I went from being a marginal performer to being a key player,'' he
   said. ``They have made me employable.''

   But almost as quickly, Berrier and others have found that computers -
   or more correctly, icon-based software like Microsoft Corp.'s Windows
   - are leaving them behind. To put it bluntly, as VIPACE founder
   William Wilson does, blind people can't point and click.

   Instead, they have to learn DOS, the often-intimidating,
   character-based operating system that Windows was created to simplify.
   Windows did this so well that it has begun to make DOS programs
   obsolete. This is great for the average user, but bad news for the
   sight-impaired.

   ``Back in the days of DOS, a blind computer user could operate nearly
   as well as a sighted user, sometimes better,'' said Wilson. ``Now,
   there's no way we'll be able to compete because we have no technology
   that even approaches being able to click on a little picture with an
   arrow. Speech synthesizers can't read pictures, so how in the heck can
   we figure out where that little picture is?''

   Microsoft acknowledges the problem. In fact, it has created a division
   devoted exclusively to developing specialized programs for users with
   various disabilities. Next week, it will introduce a product that aims
   to make graphic-based systems work with speech-compatible systems. But
   even its creators acknowledge that it's not a complete solution.

   In addition to being nearly untested, Microsoft Active Accessibility
   is not designed for the blind computer user. It must be adopted by
   other software manufacturers whose products work with Windows and by
   makers of the screen readers used by blind people.

   ``It's hard to get a solution out there for the end user,'' said
   Luanne LaLonde, accessibility product manager for Microsoft's personal
   systems business group. ``Part of what we need to do is to encourage
   everyone to be aware of the problem. Hopefully everyone involved in
   the manufacture of these products will realize that providing a
   standard is the right thing to do.''

   The product is a software developers kit that exposes the text
   information buried under the layers of graphics that sighted computer
   users see. This allows screen readers to ``read'' the text and convert
   the information for speech-compatible applications.

   Microsoft is still testing the product and says it won't be for sale
   until mid-May. It will be released as version 1.0 software, which
   means that there will be a lot of room for improvement. It may take
   quite a while before Windows accessibility even approaches DOS
   accessibility.

   That worries Wilson of VIPACE. He says Windows is taking computer
   access away from sight-impaired people much more quickly than
   speech-synthesized technology is giving it back.

   ``Blind people are falling farther and farther behind,'' he said.
   ``This is going to have a negative effect on the employment picture
   for us, especially as the younger people try to become competitive in
   a world where computers are now a necessity for everyone.''

   When Wilson, 45, of Bellevue, founded VIPACE in 1988, he was already
   considered a pioneer in the new world of computer-linked
   communication. He had lost his sight in 1978 as a result of diabetes,
   and he discovered computers while retraining at the University of
   Pittsburgh.

   ``I got my first computer in 1986, when talking IBM computers really
   started hitting the market,'' he said. ``Someone had suggested I get a
   modem, and somewhere along the line I decided to start using it. The
   first place I called was CompuServe, and one day I accidentally
   discovered a list of bulletin boards in the Pittsburgh area.''

   The first bulletin board he explored was called Sounding Board. He
   immediately recognized how this technology could benefit blind
   computer users, so he left a message for the systems operator to call
   him to discuss starting his own bulletin board. As he was hanging up,
   his computer started speaking to him.

   ``At first I couldn't figure out what was going on, but I finally
   realized that someone was typing to me from the other end,'' he said.
   ``It was the systems operator telling me that he couldn't call me
   because he was deaf.

   ``I thought that was amazing - here was a deaf guy talking to a blind
   guy. How else would you do that? I knew then I would definitely be
   putting up a bulletin board.''

   He created BlinkLink, the first bulletin board for visually disabled
   computer users. In its heyday, BlinkLink handled hundreds of calls and
   messages a day. That has since dropped to a handful as the Internet
   encroaches on territory traditionally covered by bulletin board
   systems.

   But BlinkLink still has the largest available collection of
   downloadable speech-friendly software in the world. It is housed on
   FidoNet, a worldwide network of bulletin boards.

   BlinkLink had been up and running for a year when the director of
   disabled services for the University of Pittsburgh asked Wilson to
   give a presentation to teach other visually impaired students how to
   use the service. Much to Wilson's surprise, more than 30 people showed
   up for that initial meeting. That was the impetus for Wilson and
   several others to make it a regular event. Now, the group meets
   monthly at the Pitt student union, averaging 50 regular attendees.

   He and Berrier are counting on new technology to restore the power
   computers have given blind users.

   ``The greatest thing computers have done for the blind is to give them
   equal access to information,'' said Berrier. ``The irony is that now
   Windows has started to close some of those doors because it is a much
   more difficult environment for the sight impaired to use.''

   The Web address for VIPACE is http://www.city-net.com/vipace/
   index.html. It contains dozens of links to other sites for disabled
   computer users. The Web address for the Microsoft Accessibility
   Support home page is:

   http://www.microsoft.com/ windows/enable/default.htm