VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 21:21:58 -0500
the following is provided courtesy of the Illinois Assistive Technology
Project.  An entity funded by the federal taxpayer.  Our thanks to our
friends at the project:  willie gunther, Celia Gant, and Jeri Friedrick.

kelly

TECHNOTE
Illinois Assistive Technology Project
Braille and Text Edition

Finding the Needle in the Haystack...
How to use an Information and Assistance Service

We live in an information age.  As a country we have moved from a predominantly
manufacturing society to one that deals with data.  People "surf the net," use cellular
phones in their car, restaurants, even at plays and concerts.  Computers dominate our
lives.  As we fast approach the year 2000, one would think that finding where you can
purchase a strobe smoke detector, or finding an accessible college campus would be
an easy thing to do.

Unfortunately, getting answers to questions like those is akin to finding a needle in a
haystack.  It's difficult if you are outside any system or program, to know and
understand all the details within it.

That's why using an Information and Assistance (I&A) Service (also called Information
and Referral) can be so helpful.  This TECHNOTE provides details about what you can
expect when you call an I&A program.  It also offers some suggestions about how to
make your search for information more efficient and less frustrating.

Sometimes I&A programs have  specialized services.  Older adult services, disability
programs, assistive technology and youth services are just a few specialty I&A
programs that exist.  Some I&A services are community based.  They offer information
about all the services within a specific geographic region.  Regardless if a program
specifically targets you, you can still call them and ask where you might call to get your
question answered or issue resolved.  Most I&A services have links to other services.

What Can an Information and Assistance Service Do for Me?

It's a service to help you get your questions answered or at the very least, point you in
the right direction.  Depending on what Information and Assistance (I&A) program you
use the sharing of information can be via phone, face-to-face, fax, mail or even E-mail.
I&A personnel should offer you courteous attention.  They should listen to your request
and may ask you questions to help clarify your needs.  They should respond to that
need with information about resolving your issue.

I&A staff may not have all the answers.  After all, knowing everything is impossible.
However, even if they cannot help you find an answer, they can probably refer you to
another source that will help you.

What Can't an Information and Assistance Service Do for Me?

I&A staff receives training to give you resources that empower you to find the answer(s)
you need.  For example, let's assume you call IATP's I&A line with a request about
communication devices for someone who cannot speak.  A member of  IATP's I&A staff
will help you narrow your search by asking a few questions.  She may ask if the user
can use his/her hands to get to the device.  She may want to know if the person uses a
wheelchair full time, or is ambulatory.  She may even ask where the user will primarily
use the device.

All these questions will help narrow the search possibilities and give you information
that best suits the user's need.  Then, after conducting a search of all the
communication devices on the market, she will send you literature about a range of
devices.  She will probably also send material about communication evaluation centers
in Illinois.  While this is a very useful service she cannot tell you which device will work
best for you, or which one you should buy.

Likewise, if you call an I&A line for information about social security work incentive
programs, the worker can tell you how and where to apply.  However, she cannot tell
you if you qualify for a work incentive program and cannot apply for you.

Don't get disgruntled with a worker because (s)he  won't do the work for you.  That is
not his/her job.  The I&A workers job is to give you resources so you can move forward
in your quest for information.

What Can I Do to Make My Search for Information Fruitful?

Before you start, create a list of questions or comments that will enable you to better
express your need.

Start your conversation with an I&A representative by saying that you need their
assistance in finding information.

Be assertive and persistent until you get your question answered.  You may have to call
more than one place to find your answer.

If the person on the line does not offer his or her name, ask for it.  Keep a notebook
nearby and write it down.  This will help if you need to call him/her back.  You can ask to
speak to the same person.

Try to state your request clearly.  Tell the person you called you need financial
assistance or details about a specific product or service.  If you don't know exactly what
you need, describe your situation for him/her including what you tried and what didn't
work.

After you explain your need or situation ask if he/she can help you or if they know where
you need to call.

Take notes of your conversation.

Ask the worker to repeat your request back to you.  Often when people communicate
one person says one thing and the second person hears another.  This will help clarify
the request.

If someone you call wants to transfer you to another person,  ask for his/her name and
extension before the transfer begins.  If you get disconnected, you will know where to
resume your search.

Ask how long it will take to get the information.  There are times when you can get the
information you need immediately.  Unfortunately, there are also times when it may take
a week or two to locate what you need and send it to you.

Try not to get angry.  If you start feeling tense, tell the person you are not mad at them,
but you are very frustrated.  You may want to take a break from phone calling and try
again when you feel stronger.

For future reference, create a notebook of names and phone numbers of people who
have been helpful in the past.

What Questions Can I Ask That Will Clarify Services?

What services do you offer? When do you offer them?

Are there any eligibility requirements to receive your services?

What type of disabilities do you serve? Do the programs differ depending on the
severity of the disability?

Do you serve all ages?

What geographic area do you serve?

Are their financial eligibility requirements?  Will you explain them to me?    Is there a
brochure or booklet that you can send me about financial eligibility?

Is there a sliding fee scale for services?

Are there scholarship programs available?  Are there third party payors?

Do you provide transportation?

What Can I Do if I Get the Runaround?

Sometimes consumers get caught in a "social service shuffle."  They call a service, and
get referred to another number because, "Well... we don't really serve your type of
case."    Then the consumer calls the second number and learns, "We do provide those
services, but you are over our age limit..." so the consumer gets referred to a third
number.  He/she calls that number and gets referred to a fourth and so on.  Each time
(s)he speaks to a new person, (s)he has to repeat the entire story again.  (S)he begins
to feel as though no one really cares.  These few strategies will help stop the cycle of
endless dead ends:

Explain to the next person you speak to that you've spoken to three (or the number you
actually spoke to) other people and so far are no closer to an answer then when you
started.  Express the hope that they will help you.  An I&A worker wants to help the
people who call.  Explaining that you, so far, have come up with zero will usually trigger
the more aggressive helper in him/her.

Explain to the I&A worker that you have called many places and each one seemed like
a dead-end.  Explain your frustration, without anger, about this.  Ask the worker if (s)he
would be willing to call the number they just gave you to make sure it is an appropriate
referral.  I&A workers want to be helpful and don't like sending people on wild goose
chases.  (S)he should be willing to make that call for you.

Call the original person you contacted.  Explain what happened when you made the
referral calls.  If you know why the places you called were not appropriate for you, tell
him/her that too.  Express, without anger, your frustration. Then stop talking.  Silence is
a powerful tool.  Let the silence work in your favor.  Chances are the worker will share
your frustration about not getting the right response for you.  He/she will respond with
an offer of help.  Ask them to make calls for you, ensuring you don't get caught in the
"shuffle" again.

What About My Right to Privacy?

Sometimes an I&A worker  may ask you about personal data.  The questions may be
necessary to ensure you get the kind of information you need.  I&A workers are bound
to protect your right to privacy and are open to litigation if they violate it.

If you are reluctant to release private details about yourself to him/her, ask why (s)he
needs it and how (s)he will use it.  Ask if (s)he will write it down or just use it for
background material.  If (s)he writes it down, what happens to the paper?  Who else will
see it?  How long will the program keep it?  After learning the answer to these questions
you can decide if you want to share the details.  However, keep in mind, that without it,
you may not get the kind of information that best meets your need.

Most I&A services keep demographic records on the people who use its service.  Their
funding sources often require it and without it the service would lose their financial
support.  A worker may ask questions about age, income or race to report numbers to
the funding agency.  Do not to be offended by the questions.  There is no intent to
discriminate. . . only to document the type of caller who uses the service.  Most I&A
workers hate asking the questions, but must.  Often, workers handle the demographic
data separately from your request and it serves only to help the program know who they
serve and to comply with the funding sources reporting forms.

What if I Need Information in Accessible Formats?

If you need materials on audio tape, large print, braille or on computer disk. . . be sure
to ask for it before you leave or hang up.  The American's with Disabilities Act states
that programs must ensure that its communication with people with disabilities are as
effective as communication with others.  In order to provide equal access the program
must provide "appropriate auxiliary aids and services."  That would include any of the
above mentioned format changes in printed materials in order to achieve "effective
communication" between you and them.

Is There Always A Solution?

One great frustration for an I&A worker is when (s)he learns there is no good referral for
a caller.  For example, in a funding situation, someone may have a dramatic need for
services. However, (s)he doesn't qualify for any government program.   It's called falling
through the cracks and unfortunately, it is happening more and more due to budget
restraints.  Another example of no simple solution for a problem is an older adult who
needs a ramp to get in and out of the house.  There is no funding source for that type of
need unless a local community fund or service organization takes it on as a service.

There isn't a solution for every issue that I&A services hear about.  In those cases the
only response a worker can honestly give is the one the caller does not want to hear.
The worker must tell the caller that there is no place to refer them.  It's not an answer
the worker wants to give, and they usually feel terrible about delivering the bad news.

If that happens to you, ask the I&A worker if there are alternate funding sources, or
other options you might pursue.  Understand that it usually means more work for you,
since formal programs do not fit your need.

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to confirm that there is no positive answer to
your issue or question, by getting a second opinion.  Call another I&A program to see if
you get the same response.  If they give you information that the first agency did not
have, you may want to consider calling them back and giving them that information.
Remember, it's not possible for people to know everything.  I&A workers may come
closer than anyone else in the world, but they cannot know it all.  They will appreciate
the updated information and will pass it along to the next caller requesting the same
information.

Any Last Words?

Information is an ever expanding resource.  As more people access the Internet and
computer information, more information abounds.  The effect of all that data can be as
liberating as it is constraining, if the person who needs one bit of information cannot find
it in the plethora of material available.  IATP hopes this TECHNOTE helps you in your
quest to improve your own search.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to call IATP
for help.

Good Luck!

If you have a disability. . . or know someone with a disability...
You want to know about US!!

Who We Are . . .

The Illinois Assistive Technology Project is directed by and for people with disabilities
and their family members.  As a federally mandated program we strive to break down
barriers and change policies that make getting and using technology difficult.  By
building capacity within local agencies IATP increases the assistive technology services
people with disabilities need to be as independent as possible in everyday living.

What IATP Can Offer You . . .

Information and Assistance

When Illinois citizens need to know what s available and where to get it they can call
800-852-5110 V/TTY to get information on:

types of equipment

manufacturers and vendors

funding options

services & other resources in Illinois

Demonstration and Loan Center

IATP s office has a demonstration center with a wide array of assistive devices to try
out.  Just make an appointment.  IATP also has a library of video tapes and a viewing
area.  Or visitors may browse through our large collection of product catalogues.

Capacity Building Project

IATP can assist a state agency, service provider, school, or community agency in the
development and implementation of an assistive technology plan that will increase AT
services to people with disabilities.

Training

IATP offers training to consumers, family members and professionals in:

Advocacy . . . to help individuals learn how to better advocate for themselves or their
children to obtain needed products and services.

Funding . . . to help individuals & organizations make their way through the maze of
funding possibilities when assistance is needed.

Basic Skills . . . to learn more about the wide variety of products available and tips on
how to choose what is best.

Advocacy & Systems Change
For the times when it takes more than one person to get the job done, IATP staff can
work with you individually to identify possible funding sources, or work to have the
whole system to better meet the needs of people with disabilities.

Legislative Information Pipeline (LIP) is a non partisan analysis of pending legislation
that affects people with disabilities.  It is a bi-weekly publication during the Legislative
Session.

Special Education Assistive Technology Advocacy Project assists parents with assistive
technology issues related to their child s IEP.  It provides legal advocacy and
representation to parents to resolve a variety of AT issues that their child is
experiencing with their school district.

Other Services...
In-service Training
Exhibits & Demonstrations
Newsletter